Four

The Third Floor was usually where Defence Against the Dark Arts was held. The four Marauders and Harry walked past this classroom and Harry looked to Remus with a meaningful expression, despite knowing that he wouldn't catch on. He didn't know that he would become the best Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher Harry had ever had. He didn't know what would happen to him that year.

Yes, that year, Remus Lupin had a lot of tough nights.

James and Sirius were still babbling on about nothing in front, bursting into laughter occasionally. Harry now deciphered that this must have been normal for them, as next to him, Remus didn't say anything.

The scars were still prominent on his face - it was like every single crevice on Remus' face was hidden by a scar. Despite his appearance though, he really wasn't all that ferocious for what he was. He was really kind, caring, intelligent... and he always seemed to be the beacon of the group: the one who always steered his trouble-making friends in the right direction. Harry thought that it was on the inside that counts. Hagrid had taught him that.

James opened the door to the Gargoyle Statue corridor and held it open for Sirius, who just stepped in, closing the gap on the doorway and allowing Peter to walk into it and smack his head on it. Remus re-opened it and held it open for Harry, laughing to himself, and Harry followed, snorting with amusement under his breath.

Harry was not all that amazed by this corridor. He had been through this corridor three times - twice in second year and once last year, fourth year. It was obvious that James and Sirius had been through this corridor countless times, seemingly counting the times they went to visit the Headmaster in consequence to their mischief. Peter seemed entranced by it though and Remus had something of a smug smile.

"Well? What do you think? Pretty cool, huh?" He addressed Harry as he spoke.

Harry, though, was more fazed by the situation that stood before him - meeting the Headmaster.

Huh... How ironic is that?

"Wha -" Harry said nonchalantly, wrapped up in his own thoughts.

"Um... this corridor!" Remus beamed. "It's the most decorative in the castle! It's awesome, isn't it?"

"What? Oh, right... yeah, sure it is."

Remus looked at him, surprised and blinking rapidly. He expected Harry to be completely enticed by this corridor - it was lined with awesome Gargoyle statues. Each stood at their own fountain, each leaning against the wall, spurting crystal clear water out of each mouth. The floor was polished marble - intricate patterns twisting, swirling, encircling, drawing its own caricature like a story was playing out in the illustrations. The ceiling was curved inwards like that of the Great Hall, except there were no floating candles or platform at the end of the room. On each square foot of the walls a torch bracket lay, each holding a lit torch with convoluted phoenix carvings, dancing in a pit of fire, on them. At the end of the room stood the largest gargoyle by a milestone. Harry knew this gargoyle to be the one leading to the Headmaster's Tower, and he inwardly gulped at the sight.

Remus was still staring at him strangely, as if questioning his sanity. Why did he not look fazed by this corridor? Where did he come from anyway? Why was he more afraid than excited to meet Dumbledore? And why did he look like he'd been here before? Everywhere else they went he didn't seem in the least bit impressed with the castle. He was obviously new, otherwise they would have seen him before - especially since the Marauders knew everyone. He looked exactly like James, and had Evans' eyes... There was something really weird about this kid, he concluded, and soon, he would find out what.

Harry saw Remus looking at him suspiciously, and he immediately feigned innocence, going off on a completely false tangent about how beautiful this corridor was. In the end, Remus seemed just about satisfied - not convinced by his terrible acting, no, not in the least, but satisfied. Harry hoped that Remus just thought he was in a state of speechless shock before or something, and only now had he come out and said something.