Rhythm

Elentiya had now, in the last day of exams, fallen into a rhythm. She would wake, revise, theb go to the test. Afterwards, they would eat with Cook. Of course, the evening after the last exams was special. Cook had invited all who had taken the exams down to the kitchen for dinner. This in itself was unusual. Healers all worked at different times, so they rarely ate together in celebration like that. Mostly they were too busy.

They would be placing their bells in the Womb, too. She had already picked out her one. It was small, beautifully made, but empty of any decoration. No circlet of bluebells around the rim. No words. It reminded her of what it meant to be a healer. That, instead of the array of materials and colours from her wardrobe in Terassen, the dresses she generally wore were cotton and simple in design. It was platinum, because would last forever, keep its shape perfectly. A little like her. Because she knew that she would, most likely, settle.

She was a healer! She had to keep reminding herself of that. It just seemed so... unlikely! After two years, it just seemed so different. She hadn't expected to pass. She hadn't thought she was good enough. That she would be seen as too young, too inexperienced. She had come with a basic knowledge of battlefield healing (Ugh!), but that was all. And to have done so well - one of the top in the class! She could hardly believe it herself. It seemed like a dream, impossible. She walked in a daze down to the Womb. She could have gone with the others later, but wanted to be alone.

At this time in the afternoon, it was mostly empty, and she felt the calmness descend on her. This was Silba's element. She was safe. She picked a nook to put her bell - not hidden, but not entirely visible, either. Reaching up, she placed the bell in. Then stood, unwilling to leave. She was calm, in a different way to before. She felt the past healers presence, their advice, with her. As if they were watching her add to it. And so she whispered the words, adding her own wisdom to the collection.

"Everyone needs someone to care."

...

Riki stood in the shadows of the Womb, watching 'Tiya with her bell. She had returned to Wendlyn, but she had wanted to visit 'Tiya. To apologise. Ask her to stay with Riki. Say she could try to be better, to let her in. Hafiza had tried to put her off, but she had refused to listen. Looking at 'Tiya now, she couldn't bring herself to reveal herself. She looked so at peace, so happy. Better off without her. She stood for a long time, even after 'Tiya had left. And then, with a shake of her head, she left. And she let go.

...

Elentiya laughed, spinning Xenia around with happiness. Xenia, of course, usually wouldn't have let her, but this was a special occasion. She could let herself be happy now, and with that knowledge, was talking more. Giddy in a way she had never seen her before. She stopped, dizzy, and caught the work surface, nearly unable to breathe from the laughter. She met Xenia's eyes, equally full of light and laughter. Tonight, they could be happy. Tomorrow, there would be responsibility. Work. But they had today to laugh. 

The room went silent. She spin, realising that Hafiza was at the door, grave expression on face. What was wrong? Surely, surely, everything was fine. But Hafiza's presence said otherwise.

"Elentiya? Could you come out here, please? There's something I need to tell you." Her feet moved of their own accord, bringing her closer to the door. Oh gods, was she not a healer? Had something gone wrong with the marking? Stepping out, she closed the door behind her. Hafiza placed a hand on her back, comforting even now. "I'm terribly sorry to tell you this now, tonight, but you have to know. Elentiya, your parents are dead."