Half-Breed

Why was she here? The girl had never been summoned so early on, never been asked to sit up on a raised platform with Auntie Maeve. It was an honour, but she didn't understand it. And why were those people in chains, as she was when she wasn't in public. Had they done something wrong? Why was she here, then? It did not matter, it was wrong to think such things, anyway. She would be punished for curiosity.

The girl tried not to fidget, but it was so hard when her head ached and her skin itched as if the beast beneath in was clawing at her. She couldn't let it out - not here. Not now. She had to concentrate, on the cool feel of the floor beneath her, on steadying her breathing. Now Auntie Maeve swept in, and the girl bowed so that her head touched the floor, as expected.

"Good morning, everybody. Today, some rebels are on trial, after defacing our main statue to the valg kings and queen." A collective shudder passed through the room. What were the valg? "If they cannot defend themselves, give us a suitable reason..." The threat echoed around the room. Why was she here? Why wasn't Auntie Maeve being nicer? She had said that she was merciful. 

"Speak." Auntie Maeve's voice, full of command, echoed round the room.

"When the valg attacked Mistwald, what did you do?" The male said. He was barely fully grown. "When they killed us, how did you help? And, after that, we're told to worship them like they didn't kill our people, like they're gods! I can't believe I ever wanted to come here!" He spat at Auntie Maeve's feet, but the girl wasn't thinking about that. Was it true? Had Auntie Maeve done that? 

"The punishment for your crimes is execution." There was a roaring noise in her ears. The beast was running rampart. She was going to explode right there. The boy was looking up, defiant. 

"Long live Queen Aelin!" The girl's mother... but wasn't she dead? She couldn't hold it in any longer. The girl exploded into flames.

"I should have killed you long ago." Pain flared across her back, different from the burning. Worse. "Your magic is much too strong for someone your age." Another lash from the whip. "I tried to rescue you from this." More pain. "It's because you're a half-breed." The girl tried to do as she did with the fire, but the pain increased so that she had no chance. "I should never have let your kind into Doranelle." Yet more pain. She didn't know it was possible to feel so much pain. "You're worthless." The girl tried not to screech. "Nameless." Finally, black spots covered her eyes. "Half-breed." The girl didn't hear what happened yet. She was unconscious. 

The girl awoke to blinding pain. She hadn't been healed. She wasn't in her room - it was the cell she hadn't visited for a long time. She twisted, trying to see the cuts on her back. A spike of pain went down her spine. They were a mess of blood and muscle. They hadn't stopped bleeding. They weren't infected, were they? She might die of blood loss first. Auntie Maeve wouldn't actually let her die, would she? Before, she would have said no, in any circumstance. Now, she wasn't quite so sure.