Fifteen: Encounter

Storming through the jungle, Vera was suddenly drawn to a sharp halt, snapped from her angry thoughts

Storming through the jungle, Vera was suddenly drawn to a sharp halt, snapped from her angry thoughts. How could he say that? How could he believe that? And I was just beginning to warm to them-

Although it was a welcome distraction from her current thoughts, she sensed something around her, an uneasy presence. There was a pause in the dark and quiet; her hand wrapped around one handgun...

Seconds later the weapon was drawn and she had whirled around, pointing it at the emptiness that was behind her, surrounding her, finger on the trigger, ready. Or maybe not... Maybe she hadn't sensed someone else. She lowered the gun - maybe she was just paranoid.

When she turned back to resume her trek, she came face-to-face with the watchful vulture. It was a giant bird, big and menacing. A shrill squeak escaped her lips and she jumped back.

The bird only cocked its head to the side, regarding her through its small, dark eyes. Eyes dark like those of its master, or at least before they had become the bright green of the stone that controlled him. Vera had always found herself intrigued by those dark eyes, and would only have ever admitted it to him.

She did not need to turn around to know that he was there too. The bird had led him to her. She kept the gun lowered, for now, but her grip on it tightened.

Finally, she turned and met his eyes, familiar and yet unfamiliar at the same time. They stared at each other for a long time in silence.

She spoke first. "You've got a little something there." She pointed to her own cheek, watching a little bug with many legs skitter across his cheek and disappear beneath the collar of his jacket. He didn't even flinch whereas the sight made her stomach churn. He stepped closer and she shuddered when a centipede crawled out of his hair and into his ear. This was enough to make her cringe. "Did not need to see that..." She squeezed her eyes shut tight and shook her head, trying to rid her memory of that image now seared into her brain.

He reached out to hold her cheek, the leather of his glove brushed soft against her skin. She batted his hand away. "Sod off." He lowered his hand. There was another moment of silence before she scoffed. "'This is going to be the start of a new life for us Vera'. Seriously? I mean, what the hell Russel? You can't just say something like that and then pull a stunt like this. Our life's work." She scoffed again. He didn't say anything, only continued to stare at her through his now bright green eyes. She didn't like it. "Say something. You came here for a reason." But still, he remained silent. "I don't have your bloody jewel." Only now it dawned on her too - she'd left it with the others, her thoughts too clouded with anger to remember it. After much convincing, they'd manged to get her to give it to Fridge to put in his backpack for safekeeping.

"All this time..." Finally, he spoke. "The key to unlocking the jewel was right here in front of me..."

What the hell? "What are you talking about?" Controlling all the animal life in Jumanji and setting a curse upon the jungle wasn't enough? He wanted more power?

"You-" Now he came forward and cupped her face in both hands. "You're the key..." His green eyes were wide and bright and he chuckled with realization.

She squirmed away. "What are you talking-"

"Come with me Vera, join me. Together we shall rule the jungle."

Did it sound as ridiculous as she thought it did?

"Give in to it's power-"

"Okay stop-"

"Come with me Vera, join me..."

"What-"

"Come with me Vera..."

"Wh- stop!"

"Join me..."

"Stop saying that!" The repetition was robotic almost, delivered the same each time.

She stared back at him, shocked. I loved you! she wanted to scream, but forced herself to hold her tongue. "Even if I were to, that's not going to happen to me is it?" She gestured to her face, clear of bugs, thank goodness, unlike his. "Well, as tempting as that sounds-" She made sure her voice was dripping with so much sarcasm even the most gullible could tell. They now stood close, their faces inches apart, she looking up at him. So close, she was sure he could feel her hot breath on his face. "-I'm not taking any chances. Think again, Mate. You made your choice Russel, and I've made mine." With that, she drew away and turned on her heel and started to stalk off.

"They're heading to the statue, Bravestone and the others. See you there, Vera." He knew she would go back to the statue. Whether for him or the others, she would go.

(Yay we finally got to see them together - sort of ;) I'm super invested in their relationship, if you couldn't tell ;) Haha! Thanks so much for reading and as always, hope you enjoyed!)