Chapter 16: Valentine's Day Dance Fiasco

Tuesday, February 14

Just one more song... one more song!, Andy thought. He was literally going a bit mad. He only needed to write one more song. Just one more! The problem; he had a major case of writer's block. He couldn't focus much on anything, even writing. He just wanted to get the song done, but every time he think he got a good lyric, he would change his mind because he would rethink it and decide it was horrible.

He didn't even know what date it was, even though it was pretty obvious by the way everyone was acting.

He finally found out the day when school was over.

“So who are you asking to the Valentine's Day dance?” Jake asked as he and Andy walked to Jinxx's truck.

“Wait... What?” Andy asked.

“Y'know. The Valentine’s Day dance we have every year. Today's Valentine's Day! The dance is three days away!” Jake said.

Andy stopped in his tracks. “It... It is?”

“Dude, have you even been keeping track of what day it was?” Jake laughed.

“Last time I checked the date was February 5th.” Andy admitted.

“Well you might wanna ask a girl before they're all taken.”

Andy ran off in another direction until he found exactly who he was looking for. Carolyn.

“Carolyn!” he yelled. She stopped and waited for him.

“Yeah?” she asked.

“Do you wanna go to the Valentine's Day dance with me?” Andy asked before his confidence died down.

Her smile slowly faded. “Oh... About that... I already have a date.”

Someone might as well have taken his heart and stomped on it. “Y- You do?” he asked.

“Yeah... I would've said yes if you asked earlier.” she said and gave him a small smile. “Anyway, I gotta go. I promised I'd help my aunt babysit.”

|~*~Carolyn*~*~|

At practice that afternoon while the guys were fixing up their instruments, Andy sat around and was a bit mopey.

“Why so glum, chum?” Jinxx asked him.

“I was going to ask Carolyn to the dance... but she already had a date.” he said glumly.

“Oh yeah. James Alba. Carolyn has English with him.” CC said.

“Why didn't anyone tell me?” Andy asked sadly.

“We thought you knew. But obviously you were too caught up in that song.” Jake said. “But don't worry. James is a nice guy. Straight A student, on the basketball team, A/B average at Social Studies. Carolyn would be safe with him.”