Under The Silver Bean

Its been a super long time since I updatded this story :s But I really like it, and I forgot how much I enjoy writing it, so look forward to more updates in the future!

"Long time no talk Trish" Adam said sitting down across from me.

"More like long time never talk.." I said rubbing my sleepy eyes.

"We talk, don't we?" He puzzled.

"I think of it more as harassment." I deadpanned, flipping though a book I took off the shelf at random.

"I'm not a bad guy Trish, even though you may think that."

"That's what they all say." I concluded picking up my things and getting up. I heard him sigh as I slowly padded away from him.

I opened the doors to the library and a wave of sunlight hit my face, blinding me for a moment. I put my hand up to block the sun as I walked down the stone steps and onto the street. I pulled out my headphones and put them in my ears, in an attempt to block the noise of everyone around me. 

I was passing the buildings downtown when I saw a large crowd of people outside a building. I sauntered over and pushed my way to the front of the crowd. A little boy was singing for money. For some reason I let out a breath of relief, I thought something terrible was going to happen.

I continued down the street, but the feeling that something terrible was going to happen still hungover my head like a cloud. I passed by the silver bean and decided to sit down on the nearby bench. Since it was still the afternoon parents were out in the park playing with their children. A small frown found its way onto my face, I never had a family like that. Family is a foreign word to me, a distant memory I never had. I sighed through my nose and checked the time on my phone.

The next few seconds seemed to go by in slow motion, first it was the boom, second was the ground shaking, and last but not least the screaming. One of the tallest buildings had been struck by something. Everyone began to vacate the area tying to get to safety. I just stood up slowly my eyes wide, trying to comprehend what just happened. The building began to crumble, unlike my fear which was towering up inside me. 

Unfortunately that same fear had paralyzed me, I tried to move, I wanted to move, but I couldn't. Part of the building caught on fire, illuminating my vision. Another object which I assume was a bomb, hit the building across from the last point of impact, in fact the one closet to me to be more precise. I quickly darted under the large silver bean which usually protected me from others and their harsh words and thoughts, but now it protected me from actual physical danger. 

The clang of cement hitting the dense metal covering my head was almost unbearable. I felt tears well up in my eyes as I became quiet and just hugged my knees. I waited. Waited for safety, waited for a saviour, waited for death.

*******************************

 Ten minutes later, everything went silent. I slowly crawled out from under my safety cover on my hands and knees. I looked up scanning what was left of the buildings and streets. Ironically enough it was one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen.

The sun was setting, and from the angle I was looking up at the sun was just above the rubble. Everything was still on fire burning slowly. I sat down cross legged, feeling really weak. Confused I raised a hand to my eyes to rub them, I rested my hands on my legs. That's when I felt something warm and sticky. I scrunched my face in disgust as I looked down at me hand, now covered in blood. Blood!?I looked down at my leg and saw a huge wound on it. 

I guess I didn't notice it because of the adrenaline, having a fear of blood was not helping in this situation either. I blinked a couple times and layed back down on the ground curling into a ball. Just before I slipped out of conciseness I heard a distant voice calling my name, or maybe I just imagined it? Either way I couldn't keep my eyes open and longer, and slipped into a odd sleep.

***********************

My head was pounding and I could hear the blood pumping in my ears. I hadn't even opened my eyes yet but I could already tell it was very bright wherever I was. My eyes fluttered open with a great deal of effort, and all I saw was white.

I turned my head to the left and saw a window which let me view what was going on in the hallway next to my room. Men and women in scrubs rushed before my eyes, leaving me to suspect I was in a hospital. 

Confused, I swung my legs off the edge of the bed carefully. I yanked the needles out of my arm and shuffled into the hallway away from the beeping machines. Fortunately I grabbed my clothes before I left and the doctors and nurses rushed into the room.

I changed in the bathroom and threw that ugly hospital gown in the garbage. I stumbled to the elevator and out the building. I had to close my eyes for a second when I stepped outside, the sun burned my eyes.

I heard sirens and fire trucks all over the city. I slowly opened my eyes to see part of the city in ruins, as my memories flooded back. Who took me to the hospital? I dug in my pockets and pulled out my phone calling Beau to see if he was okay.

I tried him on his cell phone 4 times, at home 2 and texted him 10 times. Nothing. Panic began to flood my mind as I limped as fast as I could to Beau's.