Auror

BLISSFUL OBLIVION

An A-Z series of Drastoria one-shotsby EMPG22HoPe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Auror Draco Malfoy follows a lead on former classmate and Death Eater associate, Theodore Nott. He tags along with him Auror trainee Astoria Greengrass, who had always been such a stick up his ass, until she wasn't.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUROR

Nobody in their right mind would have ever considered making Draco Malfoy an Auror. It came as a surprise to Draco that there hadn't been any uprisings on his ascend to be one of the most highly-trained Aurors in the Ministry of Magic. While there were several protests among his fellow Aurors as well as several ministry officers, anyone with a pair of eyes couldn't deny Draco's training statistics after achieving his training for three years. If they were being honest, and simply preyed on whispers, he might have been as good as Potter.

But that's not what Draco was worrying about now.

He had been an Auror for no less than six months at the ripe age of twenty one when he'd been assigned to take on a junior trainee by the name of Astoria Greengrass. Apparently, any newly assigned Auror had been given the unforgiving task of tagging along a junior trainee to help with their "exposure", whatever that meant to Draco.

And junior trainee Astoria Greengrass had been nothing but a stick up his ass since he first met her.

Astoria had many opinions, was always chatty and never did shut up about spewing facts that mattered little to any situation at hand. She was miniature and looked to be the underdog out of all the trainees. If she wasn't so annoyingly pretty (her green eyes have always quite taken him) and rather intelligent, he would have chucked her up to Potter and switched up with whichever appraising bloke that felt lucky enough to be under the care of the "Chosen One". Alas, he kept her around despite how prodding the young Greengrass was.

After having Astoria under his wing for an entire month—which was, suffice to say, quite the nightmare—Draco was finally sent out on the field to follow a lead on Theodore Nott and his possession of a dark artifact that could possibly "revive the Dark Lord". While Draco tried to smash the rumors or the rather impervious case file that literally does state so, he found it difficult to swallow the opportunity of having the lead when it was so connected to the nose-less bastard that made his and his family's lives a living hell.

But that seemed to matter little to Astoria, for when she had overheard Head Auror Roger Davies assign Draco the task; she ended up bursting in fits of sheer delight. The past month for either of them had been nothing but sitting about Draco's desk, sifting through paperwork. Sometimes, they went to the gym to follow up on Astoria's defensive spells which were—as much as he hated to admit it—far more superior than any of her fellow trainees. But now that it meant being on the field, Draco was already dreading the opportunity even before Davies could have even considered giving Draco the task.

"Oh, finally! I mean, I love paperwork as much as the next Ravenclaw, but it's drafty in that office. I knew you'd be given field work soon enough!" Astoria babbled on aimlessly, clutching her trainee robes of purple closer to her as she and Draco exited onto the cold, winter streets of London that early December. "I've always been so curious as to why Head Auror Davies kept you on desk duty for an entire month, given your Auror statistics but—"