Chapter 11 - Dreams

Chapter 11 – Dreams

[Ayane's POV]

"What made you act like that?" Shino asked me after spending idle minutes in silence. The both of us were currently sitting on a tree branch. I appreciated the fact that he waited for me to calm down first before asking what was wrong.

"I don't want to drag you into my problems, Shino,"

"I don't mind getting dragged," he answered while staring straight ahead. I felt the heat rose up to my cheeks because of what he said. The thought of having someone like Shino to back me up while facing my problems felt great. "So, what is it?"

I looked down on the ground, "To be honest, I don't really know what to believe anymore. I don't know who I am anymore,"

"What makes you say that?"

"The Hokage told me that I'm different from my clan since this tattoo..." I tilted my head to the opposite side so Shino would be able to see my clan's symbol. "...was supposed to be placed on the left side of the neck and as you can see, I have mine on the right side,"

"Is it that big of a deal?" Shino wondered. "It's easy to place a tattoo so why the big deal about it?"

"I thought about it too," I replied. "But the Hokage told me that my uncle plans to use me as a weapon,"

"A weapon?"

"In my opinion, I think that it's impossible," I explained. "My uncle despised me so much that he didn't let me have proper training. If he wants to use me as a weapon, he should have made me stronger, right?"

"Maybe you possess so much power that your uncle thought that he wouldn't be able to control you once you got stronger,"

I looked at Shino instantly. What he said made sense. His hunch was probably on point. If I really did possess the power to even be used as a weapon, why would my uncle want something that he wouldn't be able to control?

"What am I?" I whispered to myself.

"You're Ayane," Shino responded. "You don't have to worry about it. We're here to help you get through everything. We're comrades and we always got each other's back,"

"What if I turn out to be a monster?"

"So, what?" Shino said flatly. "Monster or not, you're still you,"

"I don't want to be harmful to Konoha," I spoke truthfully. "What if I really am a monster and I'm a threat to this village? My conscience wouldn't be able to take it if I hurt one of my comrades just because of this power,"

"You're not a monster," Shino tried to convince me but many thoughts were already running inside my head.

"What if I hurt you, Shino? I don't want to hurt people who did nothing wrong. I don't want to hurt the people who care for me," I was rambling. I wanted to shut my mouth but at the same time, I wanted to hear Shino's thoughts.

"You're not the type of person who would hurt the people you care about, Ayane," Shino gave me a sideway glance.

"I don't want to leave Konoha," I tried to stop the tears from spilling. I didn't want to cry in front of Shino.

I knew that I would look pathetic.

And a pathetic Ayane was something that I didn't want Shino to see.

"There's no need for you to leave your home," Shino said. "Don't think about it too much. Let's talk about something else. Let's go off the topic,"

"I also don't want to think about it,"

"Then don't," he smiled at me and I felt my heart skip a beat. "Stop thinking about things that would only bring you pain and trouble,"

"So," I smiled back. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Anything is fine. Let's start off with this, what are you plans for the future?"

"Plans, huh?" I repeated. "I haven't really thought about it that much,"

"You should think about the future,"

"I am thinking about it...not just that far ahead," I chuckled nervously. Shino seemed so serious that I felt pressured answering his question. "What about you?

"I want to be an academy teacher,"

"What?" my eyes almost popped off of their sockets.

"What's wrong with it?"

"Nothing," I shook my head. "I think that you would make a great teacher considering the fact that you're here with me now, indirectly teaching me of how to face my problems," but I knew that Shino being a teacher would be a sight to see since he's a well-composed guy.

"I didn't teach you anything," Shino pointed out. "I'm here for you because I want to,"

"Thank you," I said from the bottom of my heart. "Thank you for being there, Shino,"

Shino looked at me before saying, "You don't need to thank me. I like being with you, Ayane."