2 / A Rude Awakening

I cringe; I have no intention of opening my eyes but for some reason the sudden change in light bugs me. I shift a bit in the bed before I hear a soft voice.

“Shh, it’s alright.”

I don’t recognize it right away, but after a few seconds I realize that it’s the Doctor. I remember falling asleep in his bigger-on-the-inside box and… oh god. I start to tense up, and he quickly responds by caressing my cheek. My thoughts are turning into a jumbled, panicky mess.

“Relax, I just came to make sure you were okay.”

I calm down just a bit upon hearing this but still get the feeling that something’s going on here. In an instant I feel both his hands on the sides of my head and I sigh, suddenly feeling tired all over again. I try to make sense of all of this, but the exhaustion hits me before I get a chance.

“Good, now get some rest. You’re in for a hell of a time when you wake up.”

I’m not sure if I had the chance to reply before blacking out, but I am sure it wouldn’t have been anything more than an incoherent mumble.

~~~

I groan; as I turn onto my side and feel the soreness in my limbs, my eyes flutter open. I can see a light blue bedroom with one dim light coming from the ceiling – I can’t seem to see any sort of fixture, but I hardly pay it any mind at that particular moment – a brown nightstand to my right and a matching dresser on the wall to my left. I sit up and hold my head, feeling a bit dizzy from pulling myself up so quickly.

God, I wonder what happened.

As I try to put two and two together in my mind, I can hear footsteps coming from the hall.

“So, you’re awake…”

I hear him speak before I can see him at the door. Well, I suppose the ‘it was all just some weird dream’ theory can be ruled out now.

“Yeah, I am.”

I’m not sure if this is just my mind playing a trick on me or what, but I look at him and I think I see some sort of fear in his face. His hands are in his pockets, a secretive gesture that I’m all too familiar with, and he’s looking at me in a way that I can’t even describe. If he is scared, I can’t even begin to imagine why.

He moves his head and gestures for me to come out into the hall; I pull myself out of bed and do just that. We both walk to the console, and he begins to fiddle with the controls in silence. After a few seconds of dings and beeps, I can’t stand it anymore.

“Um… what’re you doing?”

“Oh, I’m just taking her through the time vortex. No big deal,” he answers. Not once does he look up at me while he says this, and frankly, it’s sort of creeping me out. He leans up against it with one hand, seemingly finished, and looks me over again. The only difference is that this time, he doesn’t seem afraid as much as he does curious. I look around, distracting myself from the awkward situation, until he finally speaks.

“Not to be rude or anything, but you might want to change into something more… casual.”

I look up at him and then look down at my school uniform. He’s right, at least about this not being casual. After all, teenage girls usually don’t dress in khaki pants, an orange polo and a hoodie. I look up at him and to my surprise he’s just smiling. I wonder just how funny my awkward realization is to him.

“Don’t worry, there’s a closet right down the hall. It should be the third door on the left.”

I put my hands in my jacket pockets and reply with a quick “thanks” before walking down the hall. I want to go back and ask him about before, but I don’t want to ruin his apparent good mood. Once I hit the right door, I open it up and stare in awe at what’s inside. It’s a whole walk-in closet full of, well, my clothes! I’m curious as to how he could’ve gotten his hands on any of this, but I decide to change first and ask questions later. I take a moment to look at everything and, oddly, one thought comes to mind.

God, if I didn’t know better, I’d say the Doctor knew me better than I know myself.