Prologue~The Future's Past

This is a Tenth Doctor fanfic (no offense to any Eleven fans, but Ten was my first and he will always hold a special place in my heart). The main character will share many traits with myself (name included) and this will make many references to the television series, but this story is something all its own. I hope you enjoy.

~~~~~

"They stopped my heart. It's not enough for regeneration, but..."

I cry. As the warm tears fall freely from my face, he asks me to stop. I try, but it all happened so fast; when he touches my cheek, I gain enough composure to hold them back. As hard as it may be, I can bear to do it for him. I see something fall from his face onto the floor; was it a tear of his own?

No, the Doctor never cries.

"Before they finish me... I need to tell you something."

"They won't. I'll die before they-"

He puts a hand on mine.

"Don't say that."

He starts shivering. It's clearly a struggle for him to hold on.

"I can't... I won't let anyone else suffer and die for me."

"But why do you have to die?"

"I've been alive for nearly 900 years. I had to go sometime... everyone does."

I can't hold it in anymore, and the tears come right back; in reality, they never left.

"Docto-r? The Doctor must be exterminated."

I look behind me as I hear that cold, robotic voice and hurriedly face the Doctor again.

"We're almost out of time. What did you want to say?"

He smiles at me. Right now I'm completely lost, but I got used to that feeling a while back.

"Push the red button."