{ 12 }

[nora’s pov]

I could probably call my driver - or Vera. But there was something that held me back. Maybe the fact, that I felt like a lost puppy and absolutely pathetic as it was - it was bad enough Zayn, a stranger, saw me like this. Or maybe it was because I wouldn’t mind spending a little more time in Zayn’s more reckless world. Where there weren’t any strict rules or insane expectations. For whatever reason I didn’t ask about borrowing his phone, as he had told me I could. And he didn’t ask if I wanted to etiher.

“Does it hurt?”

My eyes searched for his in the dark hallway, but he wasn’t looking back at me, as he made his way down the stairs. A little disappointed and baffled I didn’t really understand what he was referring to at first heartbeat and he continued in my silence, “the shoes?”

“Oh! Yeah - I mean no. No, it’s good. It’s fine. They’re fine,” I closed my eyes tightly for a moment as he opened the door for us both. In the darkness I kept swearing mentally over my completely foolishness. What was wrong with me? Maybe it was just nice to have someone - at least pretending - to care for you after my ex-boyfriend had acted like such a prick tonight. I still couldn’t quite believe he had actually acted that way. Chills ran down my spine replacing the embarrassment over my foolish answer to Zayn’s question.

Surprisingly the night air was no colder than earlier. It was still warm and comfortable - maybe even still a little too warm for sneakers. Zayn for a moment awkwardly held the door for me, but quickly let it go as I sent him a shy smile not sure how to think of his actions. I hadn’t paid him to treat me any differently than he would treat - a friend maybe.

He stepped out into the street looking down towards the little corner shop which early had been surrounded with young people. The area seemed more cleared out now. His hands in the pockets of his black jeans; he seemed so relaxed, so perfectly into place. He didn’t even seem to notice how he wasn’t walking on the pavement but in the street. I would keep looking over my shoulders for cars if I had been him. He turned around to face me standing a few meters away, “so you ready for the big trip home?”

I nodded and send him a smile because his words were once again soft and kind. Not patronizing.

His lips parted in a crooked smile, which he tried taming with the cool and calm facade of his. His eyes escaped mine to flicker to the end of the street, before he asked me; “and you do know the entire way right? - because otherwise we may…”

A giggle escaped my lips as his sparkling eyes returned to mine - even though he struggled with keeping his face straight his eyes deceived him.

“Oh yeah - of course I do. That would be the perfect explanation as to why I’ve been running around like a lost fool in Brooklyn the entire day,” I looked to one side and stepped out into the street towards him. He started walking backwards as his smile grew while he listened to my sarcastic and playful words. His hazel eyes watching me with amusement, as I dared copying his reckless ways. In Manhattan it would be a death wish to walk in the middle of the street like this.

“I still don’t really understand what you are doing out here?” He turned around as I walked up on his one side and he turned his head to watch me, as we walked in the very middle of the empty street. Only a few street lamps illuminating us. A few of the windows from the worn down brick buildings were lit as well revealing the detail that someone lived in there. The faint heavy beat of some hip hop song played in the heavy night air - from a car or apartment I couldn’t know.

“Yeah well - it’s a long story,” I tried at first. But Zayn didn’t seem willing to let it go; “it’s a long trip home.”

I hoped not. It stung a little in my heels from the wounds to be perfectly honest. I didn’t say anything.