{ 2 }

As I unpacked my bag, which was stuffed with my workout clothes, I couldn't help letting my mind wander to those days when Louis and I actually had been a couple. So much had changed since then. I had been a totally different person at that point of time - we had grown apart. But it had been fun. Hell it had been amazing. To have everyone looking up to you and find you interesting. Wasn't that what we all craved? Being interesting? Being something special?

I pulled out the claret nike workout top, which I slipped over my head. Next class was modern dance and I was getting late.

If it hadn't been for that damn incident I would probably still be with Louis - of course I wasn't happy for what had happened. But at least it had worked as a wake up call. Louis hadn't been the guy for me - and I hadn't been the kind of girl I actually was deep down.

I hitched up in my bag and hurried to class.

The huge dance studio was with wooden floor and mirrors covering two out of the four walls of the room. The third wall had amazingly huge windows, which if you went over there and looked out - you would be looking out over the busy 5th Avenue with the yellow taxis and beautiful buildings. The room was amazing - just like the rest of the school it had that gothic style to it.

My teacher hadn't shown up just yet - neither had my bestie. But Jay of all people was standing over at the stereo fiddling with something in the other end of the room. I sneaked up at him - he was a senior but with his major being music, where too mine was art history with the side course being modern dance. My father would never have let me go here if I had chosen merely modern dance - instead he could perfectly clearly see a future for me as museum director or whatever with a degree in art history. Like that was ever going to happen.

"What are you up to?"

Jay jumped in the air as my voice surprised him, he spun around to meet my curious gaze. He had his mac computer attached to the system and had been working on some kind of music number - that much I could see from the music program he had open. His black earphones were hanging around his neck, but he had been standing holding one of them to his ear just seconds ago listening to the tune I reckoned.

"Nora - hi girl! How's it going? You got a class here?" I nodded as he pulled me in for a hug - he was a good guy, but right now he sounded as a terrible liar. He had known I had a class here.

"So Ali got a class here as well then - right?" His innocent eyes searched the room, which was slowly starting to fill up. I couldn't help smiling - there had always been something between the two of them - and this explained him being here. I wasn't gonna let him go that easily.

"Yeah she's probably late as usual though. What are you doing here anyway?"

I narrowed my eyes at him suspiciously - the music department lay on the next floor. I watched him as he grinned widely flashing his white teeth - but still growing a little nervous, "I... I just ...I just...ehm."

I couldn't help start laughing, "it's okay Jay - but next time be ready with a good excuse yeah? I'm not sure Ali would have let you off as easily."

He smiled a helpless grin at me and I decided to spare him, "so you coming to the party on The Roof this Saturday? Ali is gonna be there," I sang the last part as if to hang him out for his obvious crush just one last time. Ali - short for Alice - was still in the state of denying though, but I just knew they were gonna end up together at one point or the other.

Jay simply lifted his one eyebrow at the information, once again half focusing on the computer as if he didn't really care whether Ali came or not. He was such a lousy liar I swear. Letting out a giggle I continued; "I hear it's gonna be absolutely mental since it's one of the last ones for us seniors... I can't believe we're almost finished."

"Yeah - yeah it's quite mental. But we got some music we wanna play for you guys - so yeah we'll all be there," he flashed me an excited smile. Saturday night's prospectives were getting better and better.

"Is it what you're working on there?" I pointed at his screen and he nodded in response, "wanna hear?"

Of course he knew he didn't have to ask. Alice and I loved to hear his new work - he was incredible at mixing numbers. Just outstandingly good. He was also here on a scholarship - unlike most of us, who just had parents who was willing to pay. He usually worked with someone on the vocals, where to he would be the one in charge of mixing.

He pressed the play button and the heavy beat echoed through the room, as I was already pumped for class I couldn't help letting my body move slightly to the beat. It had a very smooth flow, but still unique and something which just ... stuck to you. Like a melody you wasn't likely to get out of your head the next couple of days. Some vocals were added too give the tune yet another dimension.

"This is amazing Jay!" He grinned at me as he closed the laptop, unplugged the wires and lifted it.

"Yeah - yeah. You always say that," he started moving towards the door walking next to me - towering over me - as we had both noticed the arrival of my teacher.

"No but I'm serious - you could get a contract with that kind of stuff. I swear!" My head snapped up at the sound of my teacher calling class together - of course Alice hadn't showed up yet.

"Listen - I can't wait to hear it Saturday yeah? Gonna be a wicked night," we were standing at the exit and he sent me one last smirk accompanied by the playful words, "so you're going on a last date with Tomlinson uh?"

My eyes widened. I knew gossip travelled fast here but damn - this had to be some kind of record! He started laughing at my expression and I hit out after him, "oh shut up already!"

"Yeah yeah sure - say hi to Alice from me. And Tomlinson," he broke into a huge grin. He knew I couldn't stand Louis anymore. Neither could Jay or Ali for that matter.

"Fuck you very much Jay!" I yelled with a smile in my voice as he started running down the hall, as his class had probably already begun. He sent me one last grin, " it's a pleasure Nora!"

"Ms. Grey! Please - class has already started!" Mrs. Hale yelled after me, as the warm up music started blasting from the room. I spun around, apologizing and with my mind filled with how the hell I could get out of the 'date' with Louis, which I hadn't even agreed to - I joined the rest of my classmates in the warm up session.

{ please vote & comment }

I'm going to try and update very frequently as I'm super exicted about this story - the setting is partly inspired by the movie Step Up, which some may have noticed with this chapter? (great movie btw.) but it's not gonna focus on dancing .. anyhow - loads of love! hope you liked this x