Chapter Six: An Awkward Triangle

I was lying on top of my bed, doing my homework, when my phone vibrated on my bed. I glanced at the caller ID. It was Aidan. For some reason, I was shocked that he was calling even though he told me that he would. I just didn’t expect him to actually do it. I grabbed the phone after the third ring, answering it quickly.

“Aidan?” I said awkwardly answering the phone.

“Hi Kyle,” Aidan replied sounding a liitle anxious. “Are you busy?”

“Busy? Uh no? Why?” I asked as I flipped through the pages of my history book.

“I’m outside your house,” he sighed. “I was wondering if we could talk face to face.”

I jumped up off of my bed quickly, rushing to my window. He wasn’t lying. There he was parked on the side of my street, sitting in his car. Holy shit! Aidan was outside of my house. 

“Um yeah! I’ll be down in a minute,” I said quickly hanging up my phone. I tripped over my two feet, as I glanced at myself in the mirror. I brushed my hair back, rushing to my closet. I was in sweats and a t-shirt. I was an absolute mess. How could he just drop by like this - so unexpectedly? After realizing that my outfit was a hopeless cause, I tiptoed upstairs to my front door, letting Aidan into my house. My parents were already asleep and I doubt they would be comfortable with me letting someone in at this hour of the night. It was a good thing I lived in the basement. I locked the front door behind me, as Aidan followed me downstairs to my room.

“You live in the basement?” Aidan commented, glancing around.

“Yeah my stepfather’s kids took over my room,” I sighed plopping down onto the couch. “So, I got the basement/family room.”

“It’s like your own little apartment down here,” Aidan chuckled. “Mini fridge, pool table, TV – It’s nice.”

“Thanks,” I replied as he sat beside me. I had forgotten that Aidan had never seen my house. I watched as he glanced around, his hands shoved deep into his pockets. He was pacing. I wonder what he had wanted to talk to me about. I didn’t rush him though. I could tell that he had a lot of things on his mind.

“So, I was thinking about you and what you had said,” Aidan began, chewing on his lower lip. “Kyle, I was a complete jerk to you, but I was scared ok. I mean that day when I called you a fag, you don’t know how terrible I felt after I said that to you. The look on your face – I could tell I had really hurt you. I’m so sorry. I'm sorry about everything. ”

“I know,” I smiled at Aidan. “I’m over it, Aidan. I’ve been over it.”

“Good,” he said sitting down beside me. “I came over because I came out to my parents today. I told them everything. I figured if I could tell them, then I could come out to the school.”

“Aidan,” I started to say, but he stopped me.

“Let me finish,” he continued. “They were surprised like any parent I guess would be. They didn’t believe it or want to believe it I guess. I think my mother said something about sending me to therapy. I don’t quite remember. But at the basketball game today, which we won, I told the team. I’m certain that everyone in the school knows by now.  And I would be lying, if I didn’t tell you, that I’m scared out of my mind right now, Kyle, and I just needed to see you. I just need to talk someone and I knew you’d understand.

I bit my lip as Aidan rested his head in my shoulder. I gripped him tightly, wrapping my arms around him. I couldn’t believe he had actually done it. He had actually come out of the closet. I felt partly responsible for it. I mean I had been the one that had pushed him to do it.