Freedom ?

Cars were screeching, and the sound of happy children cheers were cascading off of the building walls. The bright city lights glistened into the dark purple sunset as the smell of croissants from a near bakery filled my nostrils. I would have stayed here if I could if I wasn't rudely dragged away.

"Daroga!" I snapped.

"Keep your feet moving!" He whisper-shouts back at me.

I roll my eyes as I let out a grunt. I've known the man for roughly two hours at this point, and he was acting like we have been friends for three years. As much as Daroga tried, he would never replace the spot Gustave stood in my life.

"Where the hell are we going anyways?" My voice was barely audible to my own ears.

"A place no one will find you." He seemed so sure of himself. Quite frankly, I didn't have any hope in him. I just met the guy, and who knows how intelligent he actually is.

It wasn't until ten more minutes where he shoved me against the wall of the Opera Populaire. I grunt as a sharp pain spiked through my body. I looked at Daroga like he was insane. What was he doing?

"Why are we hear?" I ask.

"Shh." He scams the area to see if anyone was following us. Then he finally answers with," I'm going to hide you in the basement of the opera house."

"You're crazy."

"I'm trying to help you."

"I'm not hiding in some basement for the rest of my life."

"Well, you can't stay out in the city unless you want to be mistreated and abused forever."

God I wished I wouldn't have left with this man. His idea of putting me in a random isolated place just to be away from the rest of society is absurd. I'd rather be out with Gustave and Christine as everyone else is pointing at me like a wild animal.

"I'm going home," I said as I started to walk away from him.

"Home?!"

"Yes, home. I'm not talking about the carnival, I mean Gustave Daee's house."

"You do that, and I'll lock you up in the carnival."

I swing my head back at him. I muttered through clenched teeth," what?"

"I was ordered to bring you back to the carnival. Philipp demanded and threatened my job for me to bring you back. If you flake out on me when I'm trying to give you a hand, might as well try to get work done the right way."

I stopped trying to argue with him. It was hopeless, and dangerous, to pick up a fight with a policeman. I decided to let him do what he has planned.

"That's what I thought," he sneered.

It wasn't too long after that when darkness and isolation became my best friend. I silently wrote my music and listened to the operas for free from above. It was heaven. After about a year, I have built my own house in the underground of the theatre. That is how I became The Phantom of the Opera.

I heard walking in my house. I was convinced it was some buried paranoia finally creeping up on me all these years later. That completely switched when I saw one of my old friends. Gustave was here.