Chapter 1

"Little girl, Are you lost?

I respond with my usual answer. Since we just moved here everyone was just getting to know my dad and didn't realize I was his daughter. "I'm Dr. Shepherds daughter, Mae. I'm just waiting for him to get out of surgery." This place was huge I never knew that a hospital could be so much like a maze, I get lost around every corner and I finally made it to the surgical wing of the hospital.

"Oh, okay. You can wait right over here." She took me over to the waiting room where the patients families sit and I felt out of place because everyone looked worried, wondering if their family member would come out of surgery healthy and not a vegetable. But I just sat their reading Gray's Anatomy the book my dad gave me so he could talk to me about his upcoming surgeries. And yes I know, I'm only 10 and yes, I'm only in 5th grade but I've been told I'm smart for my age and actually take classes above my age level.

"Sweetheart!" My dad yelled out as he came out into the waiting room.

"Dad! How was your surgery? Any complications?" That was always the first question I asked my dad because it always made me feel better when he says everything went just as planned.

"There was some bleeding but I controlled it and she should be as good as new, maybe even better."

"Oh, Are you going to talk to the family now? Or can we go eat, I'm starving." I had waited for 3 hours and I always looked forward to our lunches because he would tell me what's to come for the day. He also let me read his charts sometimes.

"Let me go talk to the family and we can go straight to lunch."

"Great!"

* * *

"Dad, Is that Dr. Grey over there?"

"How do you know about Dr. Grey?" I accidently eavesdropped on his conversation he had with another doctor, who I think was Dr. Burke.

"Uhm. I wanted to know all the doctors names, so I could talk to them."

"Oh, okay. And yes, that is her." She was beautiful and I could tell that my dad had his eyes on her not just for her surgical skill, which he said was the best he's ever seen, but because he has been falling in love with her. It was so cute to see my dad in love again.

"Let's go. I have another surgery and you have school to be doing." I hated school, I just wanted to watch my dad do surgeries all day everyday, but I knew that I needed school to be as good as he is someday.

"I'll be back. Don't leave this office till I come back."

"Okay dad." And so began my hours of work learning about the Scientific Method.