Hanako-San

The way to summon Hanako-San is to knock on the third bathroom door three times and say, "Are you there, Hanako-San?"

Afterwards there will be a stretch of silence. If there are people with you, they will run out of the bathroom and leave the person to their fate. If Hanako-San is really there, she will say, "Yes, I am here." 

The legend of Hanako-San says what happens next will vary depending on what school you're in. Sometimes a hand will bust through the door and drag the person into the stall and kill them, but usually after the pause the stall door will open just a slight bit. Then, if the person is brave enough, they will be able to push the door open, revealing Hanako-San herself. Hanako-San is supposed to have very pale, white skin and is always wearing a red skirt. Her hair is short and black, done in an old fashioned style. It's obvious that she's a girl of school age but it's not known why she will harm some people and not others. Sometimes she's said to even protect kids who are being bullied by their classmates or are having problems with other ghosts.

One legend says Hanako-San was a girl who lived during the time of World War II. She was playing hide-and-seek in her school one day and hid in the stall of the girls bathroom. While she was hiding in the stall, planes bombed the place.

Another legend says that she was a victim of bullying by her classmates. One day the bullying got very bad and she ran into the third stall of the bathroom to escape. The other kids came and banged on the door, trying to get her out but she had locked the door and they eventually left. Later that day the staff members found Hanako-San dead. She had committed suicide right then and there.

The third story is more mysterious and creepy than the other one. It says Hanako-San just fell out the window of the school library. It implies that her fall was an accident, but it doesn't give us enough details for us to know why she ended up in the third stall of the bathroom.

We don't know the truth about Hanako-San, but this could be a rite of passage.