Chapter 10 -- One More Time

Chapter 10

{Gavin's POV}

I woke with a jolt, feeling a strange weight at the edge of the bed. I glanced up again, finding Edgar standing over me. Somewhere deep inside I hoped it would have been Mogar, but that would be improbable. Deep inside I hoped he would have came back so I could have apologized. I wished he wouldn’t be mad, but, knowing him, he’d be making my deadline shorter.

I sighed, gently pushing Edgar out of the way and standing. I changed into my usual clothing, looking around the room. It was still tattered and broken, and needed a lot of cleaning. I looked down towards the door, and there was no signs of anyone ever being there. I sighed again.

Maybe it all was just in my head? Or maybe it was Edgar again?

I glanced at Edgar, who was still happily asleep on the bed. The window next to the bed suddenly made a strange thump noise, and I jumped slightly. I glanced from Edgar to the window, and found a bird had hit the glass and died. It’s dead body slumped on the windowsill. The strange thing was it looked like the sparrow from when Mogar had come.

I shook off the thought again.

I picked up my bow and arrows, which just managed to be in the corner of my house without a scratch, slung them over my shoulder, and turned back around.

It had been about four days since Mogar had visited, and immediately stormed out. This meant he had only a couple days before the king came looking for me – Mogar came looking for me. I shuddered at the thought – if the king came, there would be no hope. Edgar would be gone, and this stupid little ‘resistance’ act would be nothing more than a thing of the past.

I sighed again, looking down at Edgar.

“Stay here, love. I’ll be back.”

With that, I walked outside, finding Ash by the stables.

I was hesitant to go out and hunt again, but. . .

My common sense was overruled by hunger.

~

{Ryan’s POV (ooh new pov)}

I sat quietly at the throne, letting my little dragon weave in and out of my fingers. I could just feel the dark energy emanating from it, pulsing through my hands.

The sun danced over the walls of the Royal Court, just barely showing signs of dawn. The trees and grass were slick with dew, and the small servants that usually dashed around the court were still asleep.

I sat in a royal purple outfit, with a purple cloak edged with white fur draping around me. A golden crown sat upon my head.

I glanced around the throne room. It was dawn – the fourth day of my waiting.

I had three more days before I could find him and finally get Edgar back.

I looked down at the dragon, who met me with beady black eyes.

“They have no idea how important she is –“

“M’lord!” I heard a screech.

My head whipped around, finding Geoff running up the red carpet to the foot of the throne.

What.” I hissed, obviously ticked.

“M’lord, it seems as if Mogar is missing again.”

I rolled my hand on the joint, scoffing. “He disappears all the time. Probably keeping tabs on that fugitive.”

Geoff looked down sheepishly. “Y-you see, M’lord . . . that’s the thing. He’s not in the town at all. He’s not following anyone. And he left all his tools.”

My lips creased to a thin line. “He’ll turn up Geoff. He’ll turn.”

Geoff sighed, rubbing the back of his neck, then turning and leaving.

I stole one more glance at the man, seeing a small pouch of gold in his hand. He was clutching it desperately, his knuckles turning white with how hard he was grabbing.

He had been bribed.

~

{Michael’s POV}

I glanced at Gavin again.

One more time.

Just to make sure.

One more time before I go.

I watched the man streak across the forest ,bow in hand and arrow nocked, tracking a wild pack of kitsune. They were hard to come by, especially on land, and easily brought in top-dollar at the stores for their pelts. If he could land a shot, he could get a decent meal, and a hefty trophy.

I held my breath.

He was silent. I couldn’t hear him at all. I could barely track him because of his dark green clothing.

The herd – maybe about four kitsune – stood in a dark clearing under the shade of a huge oak. The three youngest stood behind the tree, while the oldest, largest seemed to stand just within range.

His scruffy blonde hair covered his face slightly, but most of it was contained with his dark green hood. His green eyes scanned the clearing, trying to find possible exit points in case he missed and his prey went haywire.

I watched him pull back the bow’s string.

Aim.

And fire.

And just barely skid the neck of one of the kitsune.

I watched him nearly have a nervous breakdown as they scattered, the injured one running off bleeding horribly in my direction.

In my direction.

I watched it scamper under the exact tree I was in, then dart into a well-hidden brush, curling all nine full-grown tails over itself to conceal it. I growled, looking once back at Gavin, who was making his way slowly over to where I was.

I jumped down.

I made a stupid call.

I rushed over to the brush, found the kitsune, which was heavily bleeding out. Gavin had done an okay job at severing it’s throat, but nothing fatal. If it laid here long enough, it’s magic would heal itself.

I pulled out my sword.

The animal looked up at me with beady eyes. It let out a small whimper – maybe even just a small, pathetic cry. It made no attempt to move.

I lowered my sword.

Just low enough to stick it in the already bleeding neck wound.

I looked back at Gavin.

“Why do I keep helping you.” I muttered, as I dashed off again.

I heard him thrust his way into the small, tree-covered path, and find the dead kitsune. I hoped I had did a good enough job of hitting my mark so it looked as if the arrow had done the fatal damage.

I looked back again.

One more time.

~

Hey y’all c:

Next chapter I plan on having a bunch of fun stuff happening so I hope you don’t mind the little slow chapter here <:

Hehehe I have plans my little followers.

Plans.

~Queen

*Oh yeah look I updated at 9 in the morning this time that’s strange!