Chapter 4 -- Race Against Time

Chapter 4

{Ray’s POV For The Hell Of It}

(Oh hey yeah you guys for now I’m just going to have to have Lindsay as just Lindsay and not engaged to Michael or anything because of two reasons: A) It wouldn’t fit well with the story and all Michael’s practically a slave to Ryan and B) it’s just difficult to tear them apart in fanfics like this sooo)

I led Gavin, who had slumped over on his horse for a good while now, into his house, and laid him down on his cotton bed. I sighed, rubbing my forehead with my palm. How in the hell did he manage to do this to himself.

I looked outside quickly -- both horses were tethered to a stake just near the door. Gavin’s horse seemed preoccupied with staring intently at Verizon, who was chewing on his bridle.

Gavin moaned, rolling over to expose the arrow. It was sickly stuck in his leg, a small portion of it sticking out the other end. Blood crusted the arrow’s shaft, and was still streaming down. I’d get him a new comforter later. Using the blanket, I wrapped the cloth around his wound to try to slow the bleeding without touching the arrow.

I hoped that would do for now, and jogged outside and hopped onto Verizon. Ash glanced at me, whinnied and then turned away.

I turned Verizon towards the north side of the outskirts, and began to lead Verizon towards a familiar house.

If anyone could get this arrow out for a cheap price and still do it right, it was her.

~

{Hey let’s throw Lindsay’s POV in here for no reason!}

I began to sort some of the nice-smelling herbs into small piles on the counter of my little home, taking in all the mixed scents. There was rosemary, cotton, ginger, coltsfoot, and of course, the small fire that crackled in the middle of my small hut helped waft these scents around.

I hung some coltsfoot on a small hook. I sighed, thinking. I hadn’t had a customer in a couple days now. Maybe it was because they were all off doing tasks for money themselves?

Turning, I slumped down near the fire with a small wad of mint leaf -- maybe it could overpower some of the other scents and just make it nice and fresh in here.

Suddenly, the sound of horsehooves clattered into the hut, and I whipped my head away from the burning pile of mint, the smell dancing around the hut.

I stood, the smoldering wad of mint still in my hand, and with the other I let down my amber-colored hair. I had it back for safety reasons.

A man opened the door -- he was a familiar face.

“Ray! Come in, come in!” I held the door open with a smile, laughing. “What did Gav do now, trip over a ladybug?”

Ray smirked -- but it was so pathetic. He pulled his cape away from the fire. “Are you busy?” He glanced at the wad of mint in my hand. “Smokin’ dat herb?”

I giggled again. “Nah, not busy at all.”

He nodded, his smirk residing as he sighed. “And no, Gavin went out just before the King gave warnings of Manticore sightings. He seriously got injured.”

I clenched the mint leaves in my hand. “Is he okay? Does he need -”

“Help? Yeah. He has an arrow stuck in his leg. I might have stopped the bleeding, but he might wake up soon, and then the pain will be worse.”

I nodded, thinking. “I can give him some herbs to keep him sedated. And a couple things for the pain. But the arrow needs to come out -- especially because it’s probably one of his handmade ones. Those things splinter faster than I can even begin to say.”

Ray glanced at his horse. “Grab what you can, and I’ll take you back. I couldn’t afford to bring him here. I’ll pay you-”

This time, I interrupted him, holding up a hand. “No, you’ve paid me more than enough the last time you guys got yourselves into trouble. This one’s on me -- plus, his life might be at stake if we don’t treat the wound and stop bleeding and infection.”

Ray smiled widely. “Thank you so much, Lindsay.”

I nodded, matching his smile, and collected some herbs. Putting out the fire, I turned to him. “Let’s go, before he wakes up and has a heart attack over the arrow in his leg.”

Ray gave a small laugh, then led me to the horse.

Hopefully I grabbed the right things.

~

Okay yeah really really short chapter I know.

It's almost the end of the period that I get to do whatever the hell I want soo I'd rather put this up now.

I need a schedual for this really because I can't just keep uploading randomly can I?

Honestly I don't think anyone cares.

Thank y'all <:

~Queen