22 - I REALLY LIKE YOU

"I REALLY LIKE YOU

"I REALLY LIKE YOU."

Rhett looked up from where he was reading magazines, catching up on the culture, to find Nicky staring at him, worrying on his bottom lip and twisting his hands. He looked terrified, eyes darting about, but there was something about him that seemed to be holding back, almost guilty.

"No, you don't," Rhett said, sitting up to mimic the position of the younger man—boy really. His words had effect, causing Nicky to freeze, stare at him with confusion, not hurt.

"Yeah, I do," he pressed, pulling his knees to his chest and wrapping his arms around his legs, avoiding all eye contact, resting his cheek on his knee and looking at the wall, "I really, really do."

"The way you like Terran?" he asked, unable to help himself. It had been almost three months and he had started to get comfortable, but as the days kept inching towards another monthly anniversary, so did his mood inch towards being more bitter.

Nicky froze at the mention of the somewhat leader of whatever group he was a part of. The person everyone turned to, the man, while young, who had seem quite a bit. Young and all smiles, it was no wonder that the young, idealistic raincloud took such a liking to him.

"Shut up," he grumbled, burying his face in his knees, "I just—"

"Want someone to like you the way you like everyone else," Rhett finished, sighing as he stood up and made his way over to Nicky, pulling him into a halfway hug.

"Shut up," the boy said again, ripping himself away, "Don't know why I bother, all of you just end up leaving."

Rhett couldn't help but laugh at the irony. He looked around at the small room, shaking his head as he pushed the boy away, letting him fall onto his side. "Hate to break it to you, kid, but I'm stuck here for a while. Get used to it."

Nicky smiled at that, a small, hidden smile. "Yeah? Then can you go back over there, I have work to do."

Rhett, less bitter but still unwilling to be cooperative, instead threw himself against the boy's side, peering at his blueprints. "Since when does a psychology major design stuff?"

"You'd be surprised, old man," Nicky sighed, showing him his work, "I'm making wings, Terran's got pull with military, they asked him for help, he called on me. I think these are gonna be pretty great."

"What are they?" Rhett asked, tilting his head.

"You'll see..."

º º º

Steve took a sip of his coffee as he looked around for Rhett. The man had agreed to meet him at the coffee shop, too excited with his newfound revelation to be as afraid of Christian Hyde as he would normally be.