18 - CLOSURE

RHETT WAS PLAYING BASEBALL AGAIN

RHETT WAS PLAYING BASEBALL AGAIN. This time, he was alone. He just had a bag full of baseballs that he would place onto the stand, hitting them as hard as he could to try and forget the past few days.

But he had to pick them up to try again. It was when he was left to do nothing but walk that his mind wandered. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't stop thinking.

º º º

"You were a soldier?"

Steve had long since called in sick at work and the two were sitting at his small table, Rhett with an ice pack against his eye, still trying to smile.

"Yeah," he croaked, laughing mirthlessly, "Surprise."

Steve sighed, shaking his head. "A-a failsafe?"

Rhett traced patterns into the table. "There were about nine of us. But only three of us survived the initial experimentation."

He took a deep breath, remembering the third of them. He had been about his age, handsome, so ready to do his duty, but a firm believer that they wouldn't be needed. He was perfectly fine with that, and Rhett was as well.

But not all of them shared that sentiment.

"His name is Christian Hyde," he said, the name itself sending a shiver down his spine.

"He was the one with the most control, but he was the most dangerous," he continued, tracing patterns into the table because he was too afraid to touch Steve, "He was so angry when he came out of it all."

"We did a few tests, nothing long, but we had to make sure we could do it," he whispered, hands shaking, "Had to make sure we sent the best one over here."

"He did everything the fastest, he was the best. He had the most control, but he was just too unpredictable. They were too afraid of what he might do to choose him. After all, Martin was about just as good. He could be trained. He was more controlled."

He swallowed thickly, fisting his hand, nails digging into his palm. "So Christian killed him. We were all resting, it was after we got the news that we might actually need to jump forward, see if we could get any news on the outcome of the war.

"I was still awake, but I wish I wasn't. He would've killed me too, but at least I didn't have to hear it. I heard him struggling, he shouted for me. I just laid there. When it was over, I turned around and Christian was looking at me. And I just stared back and then he walked back to his cot and that was that."

He was shaking by that point, the image of Martin's lifeless eyes staring up at him from the bottom bunk across from him burned into the back of his eyes, the sound of his scream echoing in his ear.

"Course I told them the next day, but by then he had already killed a few scientists and stole some plans, but I wasn't surprised, he hopped around, that was what he was good at, using his abilities," he shook his head, scoffing.