Chapter 14

It's been almost a week and I haven't heard anything from Bard. Maybe he took my advise and went back to Norway. I let out a deep sigh and a tear rolls down my cheek. It's better this way I think to myself. I sit down in the rocking chair, gently rocking trying to soothe my wayward emotions. I'm close to dozing off when my dog starts frantically barking. I get up to look out the window and see nothing. I shush her up and make her go lay down. Just then the door flies open. The dog runs out the door and four people enter the house - Bard, Vegard, Calle, and some strange older man I have never seen before. Bard quickly closes the door.

"Told you she lives with a monster," he says.

"That thing was a freakin' horse," exclaims Calle.

Vegard and the older gentleman just stare at me looking amused.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

Vegard comes over to me, gives me a hug hello and a look that only says "I'm sorry". He walks into the living room followed by the older gentleman.

Calle seems to be struck with fits of laughter as he looks at me then back to Bard. Slapping Bard on the back, he moves to follow the other two men - still snickering.

Bard just stares at me, with something close to anger mixed with determination. I take a step back not used to seeing this emotion from him.

"Bard, what's going on?" I ask.

He walks over to me, grabs my hand and pulls me to follow where the other three men are now standing. Vegard still has a look of pity on his face when I look at him searching for answers.

"Ok, you can start," Bard says to the stranger.

I look again at Bard, he's looking at the man intently. Calle is s laughing behind us-Vegard gives Calle an elbow to the ribs temporarily stifling the laughter.

"Dearly beloved..." The man says.

HUH?! WHAT?! - Wait, did I hear what I just thought I heard?

Bard turns to stare at me with a look that says "shut up!"

I'm shocked into silence. The next fifteen minutes flew by with me in a daze. I think I remember saying "I do" but I'm not sure. I'm brought back to reality when Bard gives me a firm but quick peck on the lips.

Vegard takes pity on me and walks me over to my rocking chair where I sit down in a daze.

"I told him this would be too much," Vegard mumbles.

I look at Vegard with a puzzled look.

"What just happened?" I ask.

"Looks like you are now Mrs. Bard Ylvisaker," Vegard says.

That brings Calle to fits of laughter again. Bard thanks the man, and gives Vegard and Calle a look. They both follow the man (who I can only think is a justice of the peace) to the door. They open the door and in bursts my dog making a b-line for me. The three men run outside quickly and close the door quickly.

Bard hides behind me staring at the dog who has run up to me and put her head on my lap - warily eyeing Bard. I absently scratch her ears still trying to make heads or tails of what just transpired.

"Can you lock her up or something?" I hear behind me. That comment fuels my anger and I stand up, whirl to face him and shout "LOCK HER UP??!! After the stunt you just pulled you're lucky I don't ask her to disembowel you!"

And with that I turn to enter my bedroom, commanding the dog to guard my door.

She lays down in front of it and I faintly hear "I guess I deserve that" the dog groans in response.

Sorry so short. As always feedback greatly appreciated. Thank you for the reads and the vote. As always. Tusen takk