Chapter 12

A/N time is going to move a little faster in this chapter. Thanks again for reading.

Tusen takk.

It's been almost two months since I came home to New York .I'm back on my little secluded farm tending to my animals. They seem to sense my heartache and are the only things at this time that can bring me any joy.

There have been many attempts by the brothers and Calle to contact me, but I ignore the calls. It would be best if Bard just forgot me. It's difficult not to pick up the phone when he calls. Especially since there is something he needs to know, something I found out myself just two weeks ago and have been wrestling with. But I'm conflicted about telling him. Would this drive him away for good, or will he come running? I don't want to find out. My Heart can't take anymore pain.

It's near noon when I finish mucking the stalls. I call to my dog and we start heading back to the main house. As I reach the driveway, I notice a car parked across the road with a man taking pictures. I stop to look and the car takes off. I brush the incident off. There are many people that come to the country to sight see and take pictures.

MEANWHILE BACK IN NORWAY

"Have you talked to Bard lately?" Calle asks

"Yeah, but he's not much for conversation these days." Vegard replies.

"He's heartbroken".

"I still don't understand why he didn't just go after her. He said he loved her"

"He tried," Calle said, "She took off so fast for home he didn't have time."

"Thats why I hired a Private Investigator. I hope he finds her"

"Do you think that's a good idea?"

Vegard looks at Calle - "If anything at least this will give him closure. He can decide whether or not he wants to go to her"

"Ah, speak of the devil. Hey, Bard, ready to get to work?"

"Hmm, what? Oh yeah" Bard says clearly his mind preoccupied with other things.

Vegard and Calle look at each other and smile. Yeah- Vegard thinks- he's doing the right thing.

BACK IN NY

A few more months have passed and the calls from Bard have all but stopped. I still occasionally get calls from Calle and Vegard, but I still choose to ignore them.

I grab my dog and head out to the barn. As I enter I almost run head first into my ex-the one who broke my heart.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him

"I needed to see you", he says.

"You NEED to leave. Does your wife know you're here?" I ask.

"We're Separated," he states simply.

"Sorry"' I mumble and turn to do my chores.

He grabs my arm to turn me. I look at him annoyed.

"What??!!" I ask

He stares at me. "You look different," he says.

I turn away resuming my chores. He grabs my arm and turns me again. He opens my coat and gives me a surprised look.

"You're pregnant?! How did that happen?"

"Oh, the usual way" I answer sarcastically.

"Who's is it?" he asks looking over his shoulder for some male presence on the farm.

"None of your business," I answer, "Now you need to leave!" I start to walk him up the drive. I look across the street and see that car again with the man taking pictures.

I lead my ex to his car, surprisingly feeling sorry for him as he drives away. My heart seems to have gotten over him.

I look down and rub my belly "Well baby, now if it were only that easy to get over your Father." With that I turn and walk back to the barn to resume my chores.

BACK IN NORWAY

"Hey Calle, The PI did find her. He sent some pictures. You gotta see these."

Calle walks up to Vegard's computer and looks over his shoulder.

"Uh, Vegard, is she...?" he leaves the question hanging.

"Looks that way. But here, look at this. Is this her ex? He's been seen around her place according to the pictures. I guess the question is - is it Bards or his?" Vegard states.

They stare at each other for a moment, unaware that Bard is standing in the doorway behind them, hearing every word.