Chapter 27 -- Can't Keep My Mouth Shut

Another upload in 4 days! Enjoy. Read author's note at end.

"I’m sitting in a McDonalds, on a Friday afternoon, with a girl that I hardly ever talk to, but the mutual understanding and sympathy between us makes me feel like there’s no where else I’d rather be than listening to this fellow Muslimah’s story." -- Noha Ali

Chapter 27

Can't Keep My Mouth Shut

☻ Noha Ali ☻

            My grandpa always used to grin at me and declare that I couldn’t keep my mouth shut to save the world. I used to pretend to be insulted, but secretly, I loved his teasing. “Beautiful Noha, you can’t keep quiet when something needs to be said, can you?” He would croon, reclining happily on his wicker rocking chair set on our front porch.

            “Gramps! I can too be quiet!” I would say in mock exasperation, hands resting defiantly on my bony, little girl hips.

            He would just laugh heartily, laugh lines evident all around his eyes as they crinkled with mirth. “It’s a gift, my dear. Find a boy that appreciates you for that, my flower.” Then he would kiss me on the forehead.

            All those bittersweet memories of him saying that flash in my head as I knock on Adam’s door. “Come in.” He calls.

            I walk in to see him sitting on his bed in his sweats, working on his laptop. “Salam, Adam.”

            “Walaikum’assalam, Noh. Whassup?” He looks up from whatever he’s doing on his laptop.

            I plop onto his bed. “Why are you acting like this?” I say bluntly.

            “Acting like what?” His eyebrows knit together in confusion.

            “Why are you acting all chummy with Shazia?”

            An unreadable look crosses his face. “Is there anything wrong with talking to Shazia?” He asks in a struggle to sound neutral.

            I give him a solemn look. “Nothing wrong with it if it wasn’t the fact that she was trying to get into your pants, dummy.”

            He sets his laptop aside and closes it. “Whoa, whoa, whoa. Where the hell is all of this coming from?”

            “It’s been there for a long time, Adam.” My tone becomes gentler. “Look, I’m not saying who you can and can’t be friends with. I’m just saying that it’s very evident that Shazia likes you a lot and I mean…it’s not Islamically-appropriate to be alone with a girl. In a car. When no one else is in it.” I look at him pointedly, referring to the night he picked us up. I hadn’t said anything about it then because I was one, too tired, and two, didn’t feel like it was in my place to bombard him with questions. But after seeing how the talent show practice went today…I’m a tad bit worried.

            “Look, is this what this is all about?” He laughs slightly. “Noh, that was nothing.”

            “Well, why did you pick her up?”

            Adam sighs and rubs his eyes, looking tired and worn out. “I was coming to come pick you guys up. Zakariya was at the library or something, so Maysa’s mom asked if I could drop her off as well. She found comfort in the fact that you were obviously gonna be there as well. I was just heading into Zone 21 when I saw a girl standing alone on the corner of a street, holding her shoes. I didn’t know who it was so I parked and went to ask her if she needed any help. Turns out, it was Shazia, and she had a date with some guy. I don’t know what happened, but it didn’t go well so she was stuck there, alone, at night, unable to get a hold of Rayyan. I offered to take her home. Besides, she was hearing hella high heels. I felt bad.”