11. Unwelcome Guest

NATHANIEL

The announcement that I'd contacted the witch was rather unwelcome. As predicted, Balthazar was the only one who seemed in any way pleased. The first half of the meeting ended up being one long argument about why I'd made a terrible mistake.

Then Roland suggested we use the meeting to trap and eliminate her, so the second half of the meeting had devolved into a discussion on how to do just that. All in all, it was a tiring night. And I still hadn't heard back from Queen Diana or King Vincent about how to approach the war. It made me antsy. King Abel expected an answer tomorrow night.

All the while I wondered just how poorly colluding with a king-killing witch would reflect on me in the eyes of my neighbors. My instincts screamed in protest against it, echoing the arguments of the other dukes. She couldn't be trusted, which meant I had to give the idea of using our meeting as a trap serious consideration. The question is how to do it...

"All right," I said, slamming my hands down on the long table of the cabinet room. "I've realized that this is an opportunity that I can't ignore."

Balthazar shot me a warning look. "You can't be serious. How do you intend to carry out this foolishness?"

"We'll need the most advanced weaponry we have available, as well as the guidance of someone who knows how the witch thinks. For that, I have Miss Ambr-"

"No," James cut in. "She'd risked herself enough times. I won't allow you to use her."

"You are asking the impossible, Nathaniel," Balthazar said coolly. "You've heard the reports about the situation in New Orleans. Your plan, if anyone can even call it that, is nothing more than a suicide mission."

I scowled. "This is far more important than anyone's lives. The witch could topple everything we've fought for. Everything we've built. I know we've never gone up against a single person so powerful or so dangerous, but inaction does us no good."

James gazed back at me with open contempt. What little rapport we'd built up had just toppled. I'd broken the promise I made to him upon my return, to never allow anyone to use Sabine against the witch. If Sheridan was still alive, I'd have been worried. Well, he wasn't able to take his territory and run anymore. I had to admit, I enjoyed having that level of security.

I didn't even need to look at Balthazar to know how displeased he was. There was once a time where I'd have been chastised by his signature scowl, but no longer. He may have been my maker, but I was his king.

Balthazar raised his chin. "What are you going to do when you inevitably fail? She has no quarrel with you now, but if you act against her, you doom us all."

"Then we'll ensure that we succeed," I growled.

Balthazar narrowed his stormy eyes at me. He seemed to have more to say, but changed his mind at the last minute. "Very well, Your Majesty," he said in a tone dripping with scorn.

"Thank you for your cooperation," I said through gritted teeth.

I went straight back to my office after that. The anger at Balthazar and James's defiance still boiled within me. Would it kill them to show some faith in my judgment? To show some loyalty? I needed a goddamn break, but the emissary from Texas would be here tomorrow, expecting answers about the war. My job was never finished.

I slammed my office door shut and flicked on the lights, then froze. I wasn't alone.

A woman sat at my desk, leaning casually back with her feet propped up. She was a slender brunette with deceptively pleasant features that bore a striking familiarity to someone my mind refused to recall.