4. Old Friends

AVERY

It was strange being back at Rosethorne Hall. When I left the competition, I was sure I'd never again set foot inside the ornate palace. I certainly hadn't thought I'd return as Nate's girlfriend.

I frowned at the thought. It was so odd to think of the two of us in such ordinary terms as boyfriend and girlfriend. He, a two hundred year old vampire king and me, a plain human girl. It just didn't fit.

Nate gave me free rein of to do whatever I liked on the palace grounds. Naturally, the first thing I did after he departed for his duties was exploring the places that were forbidden to me as a competitor.

It turned out to be pretty dull. The first floor of the east wing held small offices for the junior staffers. The second held the cabinet meeting room as well as officers of senior staffers and advisors. The third floor held offices for the dukes, even though they mostly operated out of their own capitols. At the end of the third floor was Nate's office, preceeded by a chamber holding Melanie Caldwell's desk. She, along with four guards, had the duty of vetting unwanted visitors.

I couldn't help but be a little jealous that Melanie got to spend so much more time with him than me. Not that I suspected anything going on between them. I know love when I see it, and Melanie regarded Nate with nothing more than the respect one gave an authority. But her position as his assistant allowed her far more access to him than I got.

The more interesting place, of course, was Nate's private chambers. Most of the third floor on the west wing was in various states of construction, but the hall leading to Nate's quarters was finished, decorated, and well-guarded. His bedroom was enourmous, taking up almos the entire first floor of my parent's house. The walls were paneled with oak and inlaid with gold scrollwork. An elaborate chandelier hung from the domed ceiling. Blue damask fabric draped the windows and covered the giant four-poster bed, which stood on its own raised platform.

Nate probably picked the location for it's view, as the bedroom and adjacent bathroom both boasted a stunning one. Just garden and greenery and a sea that stretched behond the horizon. It was a view I'd become quite familiar with the previous night, when Nate suggested we wash off the grime of travel in his enormous marble bathtub.

Of course, that wasn't all he'd had in mind. A blush crept up my face at the memory of our second time together. Dating a king had its benefits.

When I'd grown tired of looking through half-closed doors in the east wing, I made my way down to the garden. It was deserted at nighttime, since all of the gardeners had ended their shifts hours ago. The lack of people gave the place a lonely atmosphere, one shared by the whole palace come to think of it. Sure, the staff I'd run into would smile politely at me as I passed, but I didn't know anyone besides Nate. Melanie too, technically, but we weren't exactly friends. It hadn't felt this way during the competition because I was always surrounded by the other girls, and I had Lydia to talk to.

Thinking of her filled me with shame. I'd neglected our friendship after she left, and forgot all about her during my Nantucket getaway. I also felt terrible for having stolen Nate away from her. I never thought he'd disband the competition in order to ask me to be with him. Lydia's win seemed guaranteed. She was more than worthy. She wanted it, and I'd wanted it for her. At the time, it seemed like the best solution for all involved.

But Nate's heart simply wasn't Lydia's for the taking. He'd chosen me, and after finally accepting him, I know in my heart that I wouldn't have it any other way. I hoped Lydia could understand that.

I vowed to end my silence and call her at a more reasonable hour. Lydia was probably back on a normal human schedule and woulnd't take kindly to being woken up in the middle of the night.