Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Dane's POV

I didn't know how to react after I received a compliment from Fairfield High's own version of the Incredible Hulk - I was probably 10% flattered but 90% freaked out. After running out the door like my life depended on it, I can't help but think those desperate eyes had a story to tell; a passage that no-one knew about.

The rest of the day breezes past and to my delight, the final bell of the day sounds. On my way to meet Brandon, I detour into the bustling crowd that are racing towards the front gate. I need to find Ms Daniels to ask if it would be okay to come to school this weekend to practice on the piano. With her brown bob hair cut and bright pink reading glasses, she was easy to spot in the crowd of happy teenagers exiting the school grounds. I skip over to her and tap her shoulder.

"Hi Ms Daniel, how was your day?" I ask in my most kiss-ass voice.

"Dane, hello. Lets just say that I'm happy the weekend is finally upon us. But as you can see from the folder I'm carrying, I don't know how much of the weekend I will get to enjoy. You music prodigies definitely keep my hands full" she laughed as she adjusted her Dame Edna imitation glasses.

I respond in slight laughter. "Ms, would it be okay if I can practice on the grand piano this weekend, I know its outside of normal hours but I would really like to practice a couple of pieces for the assignment next month. I'm tossing up between two pieces, one being classical and the other pop. The exceptionally hard classical piece will show off my skills however a well- known pop song may score higher points from the audience"

Ms Daniel looks back knowing very well that I was seeking advice in my last statement. "Dane, you wouldn't be who you are today if you always chose the easy way out. My advice is to choose from your heart and everything else will fall into place dear. I can't tell you which piece to play but I can tell you this - you are a talented young man with exceptional talent, do what you think is right". She flashes her perfectly straight teeth and the end of her lips curl upwards resulting in a grand smile beaming my way. Ms Daniels reaches into her handbag retrieving a bulky keyring and hands over a golden key with a red heart at the top. "There is only one other student that uses the Suite on the weekend but don't worry, he has a key to let himself in" she mentions as she unlocks the door to her humble white sedan.

After finding Brandon in amongst a group of athletes, I signal to him that we need to go. As the conversation drags on during the walk home, my mind wanders back to the compliment I received earlier. I know myself too well so I force myself to refrain from my pursuing this imaginary story that I thought was going behind those empty grey eyes. I didn't think this was something that Brandon needs to know so I pace down the pathway in silence while I think. The silence is broken when I feel a half eaten apple hit my face followed by the blonde bag of bones yelling that I wouldn't be able to catch him. After wiping off a mixture of saliva and apple goo, I chase the little shit down the road for defiling my money maker.

It was only 6:00p.m. and what better way to spend a Friday night than lying on my bed hoping the next three months pass quickly As boredom sets in, I decide to call Mum, mainly because she had sent hundreds of texts demanding that I call her. The gossip back home was pretty lame, the only groundbreaking news was hearing that my grandparents kitchen renovation was nearly completed. The conversation moved to my younger brother and Mum only had about a couple of hundred praises for Leighton;I roll my eyes as I know very well that he is obviously playing the "I'm a Little Angel, I'm so cute" card in front of her. After knowing each other for 16 years, I would have thought Mum met the real Leighton a long time ago, obviously not.

Disconnecting the call, I go to shower and brush my teeth then jump in the covers of my king size bed. I place the ear phones of my I-pod in my ear, noticing the time displayed on the homescreen is 7:30 p.m; obviously my new bed time as I turn on my side to say good night to Grouss, my childhood teddy bear. He surprisingly smiles and telepathically requests I have a good sleep. I relax a bit more as the tiny speakers play the chorus to my favourite song and before long, I was in a deep well-needed sleep:

You got something I need

In this world fill of people

There's one Killing Me

And if we only die once

I want to die with you

Samuels POV

Those hideous words that I sprang on that foreign little jerk kept playing over and over again in my head. Why the hell was going through my head? Maybe he has forgotten about it? Should I just pound him until he experiences mild amnesia? Dammit, why did he have to sound so good? Why did the sound of his voice and the way he struck those keys turn me into a helpless little girl?

I recall the odd feeling that came across me when I was hypnotised by the sounds flowing from the piano. It usually takes something extra-ordinary to catch my attention and therefore I am very surprised at the fact that his basic performance moved me to a place that I am unable to describe. It wasn't an Alice in Wonderland place, it was more like a place where I felt normal. It was a place where no-one was afraid of me, I had wonderful parents that showered me with love, I could walk the meadows and shout at the top of my lungs, I had friends around me. For fuck sake, I actually had friends that gave a shit about me. My younger sister was still with us and smiling back at me as she picks daisies from the front lawn. What the fuck am I doing, again? I snap out of this spell, mentally slapping for myself for being this weak.

Its getting late so I take my medication and go to watch television before father returns home with his band buddies. About six months ago, father decided to reunite with his old band members to finish off what they started 18 years ago. It was actually quite embarrassing. It reminded me of a video that I saw of this trio that were famous as kids and tried to make a comeback when they were middle aged adults - epic fail. A million channels and there was nothing on, what the hell is wrong with this world? I turn off the box and decide to call it a night.

It was already 8:30 a.m. and if it wasn't for the bottle of water I drank before going to bed, I probably would have slept a lot longer instead of getting up to empty my tank. I could hear my father snoring like a bear in the lounge so I avoid that area of the house. He doesn't handle hangovers very well and by the smell lingering from the lounge, there was a lot of alcohol consumed last night. A quick cold shower wakes me up pronto and I get dressed into my running gear, white shorts and a basketball singlet. It didn't take long to gather my things into my bag so I quickly choke back a burnt piece of toast followed by a glass of water to wash down the small white capsule I held in my left hand.

Nearly 45 minutes later, I lean against the wall fence that stood in front of my grey brick & tiled school. Although sweat is pouring out from every possible pore, I proudly look away from my watch knowing that I had beaten my previous record. Distracted by the body stench that was filling my nostrils, I dismiss the idea of smashing a window into the gym locker room to freshen up. It didn't matter if I stunk like a gorilla on heat, all the losers that I shared a school with avoided this part of town during the weekends therefore smelling horrible was the least of my worries. After resting for a couple of minutes, I make my way down to the music suite passing the ridiculous lion fountain that I promise to smash on my last day at Fairfield High.

I enter through the glass doors and lock them behind me. The room instantly felt cold but I shrug it off and carry on down the hallway. I throw my bag onto a desk in the office area and dart for the kitchen. As I carry my large frame through the hallway, I stop in front of the doorframe that I collapsed in front of yesterday. My chest starts to tighten and my heart rate picks up as the memory of the awkward conversation with the foreign kid springs back to mind. I freeze as all the emotions from yesterday became fresh in my mind. I make a mental note that I do not like that doorway anymore for obvious reasons as I try to shrug off the icy feelings building up inside of me. My chest is very tight now and the pleasure of breathing is slowly being taken away. A dozen or so familiar black shadows start to circle my body as they chant words that encourage me to join their world. I see a purple ghost-like figure appear to my right while a white light glows in the distance. 'Nooo this can't be happening', I scream at the top of my lungs. As if I had just run a marathon, my body becomes overly exhausted. My knees buckle and I slam to the ground, my body automatically forming into the shape of a starfish. My legs spasm in mid-air sending severe pain through my muscles. I start to pound the lino with my fists in hope that I could rise up but no such luck. I try to fight this but as my body locks down, I know they have won. I slowly look up to the purple figures dancing above my head and admit defeat, "You win yet again". The purple figures chant the words "Join us" which I finally do when darkness pulls me in.

Authors Note

Vote and Comment please :)