Chapter Four

A/N short chapter.

Dane's POV

Minutes later, the helpless creature appears to be regaining full consciousness so I ask a second time if he is okay. Instead of receiving an eyeful of blades, a simple nod was returned.

"I'm Dane Kendall, I hope you are okay", I whisper as I assist him to a sitting position.

"Don't touch me" he replies trying to avoid body contact.

"Sorry mate. Is there anything I can get you? A glass of water? Can I call anyone for you?" and I continue to gurgle out question after question.

"Let's get one thing straight, firstly I am NOT your mate and secondly, just fuck off will you" he shouts in a deep roar.

"You are in pretty bad shape. I can call your parents to come down to get you?" completely ignoring his request.

"Just fuck off and leave me alone. And for your own good, what you saw today does not go any further" he rudely replies.

I stand up and brush myself off. Feeling very offended, I take a few steps back and glare down at the stranger that was putty in my hands a few minutes earlier. His high and mighty attitude reminds me why I prefer not to know more about this troll.

"Your ungrateful attitude fits your appearance perfectly and if that's the thank you I get for trying to help, well so be it. Next time this happens, you may not be as lucky 'mate'. Just remember, Karma can be a bitch", I reply. Turning on my heels, I dart for the door huffing in anger.

I slam the glass door behind me and head in the direction of the basketball court.

Brandon's POV

It is close to 1:00 p.m. and I start to worry about my new partner in crime when he doesn't show to our basketball date. Okay, maybe the term 'partner in crime' is a bit of an overstatement considering he comes across as a goodie goodie. I have learned a lot from the new housemate over the past week, particularly about his home country. But in saying that, I am not fully convinced that sheep do not run New Zealand. For God sake, nearly every book in our library says otherwise.

I quickly finish up the chocolate mint ice-cream and discard the serviette in the rubbish bin. Just as I was about to walk away, I look up to see a familiar yet sad pair of eyes staring back at me.

"Bro, where the hell have you been? With the amount of sun I soaked up while waiting, Im nearly as tanned as you brother." I breathe

"Long story, can we just get out on the court."

"Not before I slap you around the ears for leaving only crumbs in mum's pancake dish. I'm pretty sure she left enough pancakes for BOTH of us" placing my arm around his neck and flicking his ear. "Now that is out of my system, let the games begin."

Half an hour later, both of us have sweat oozing out of every pore in our bodies. I couldn't help but notice how distracted Dane appeared on the court so I call for a break and wave him in the direction of Mickey's Hot Dog caravan.

"Catch" I throw a bottle of cold water his way

"Thanks. Just for the record, I'm letting you win out there." Dane challenges wiping sweat from his forehead.

"So bro, whats on your mind?" I ask curiously

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean? You're shooting blank baskets. I could play with my eyes closed and still win. Spill - NOW!!" I demand.

Dane looks around before he goes into detail about the incident at the Music Suite and I start to freak out, hoping that I am never in that situation one day. I listen to every word and look over to him in sympathy. He is relatively brave sticking around, I would probably run for the hills. He continues, "But what I can't get my head around is why it was hard for him to suck up the macho act and realise things could have turned out a lot worse. I am pissed on so many levels right now and wish I had walked away but I know that would have been the wrong thing to do." He lowers his head.