Alpha's Babies -19

I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, I couldn't do anything at all. Everything around me were blur and people's voices were so distant, I didn't know what they were saying half the time.
My life revolved around pacing outside the infirmary, waiting.
It'd only been a day since Kale dropped my babies but it felt like I'd been circling around here for months on end.

I could just rip my own hair out when I think about what Kale did. I should have let him get put down when I had the chance. No doubt that Colten already did.
Colten had actually beaten Kale up extremely badly to the point where his face was just a puffy mess. I honestly didn't care and had struggled to stand up and fly down the stairs, tumbling down them as I went.

I ran desperately to the garden and saw my babies. I didn't dare get close though because I was scared. I turned away after a few seconds and threw up behind the bushes. Caden had actually wrapped Corbin in his arm to protect him, meaning he hit the ground pretty hard.
Corbin was back in his human form, his brothers little arms around his head protectively. Well that's what I heard. I didn't want to look at them. If I didn't look, it wouldn't be real.

I don't remember how hard or how long I sobbed that night.

"Hey, Raiven," I heard a voice behind me. I turned and saw Maya and Tara stood there, both their eyes puffed up.
They didn't say anything and just held me.
We must have stayed like that for ages before Tara broke away and sniffed.
"What did the doctors say?"
I shrugged "Nothing yet, I'm not allowed in though,"
Maya squeezed my hand reassuringly.
"They're tough little men. They'll pull through,"

I sat down heavily on the plastic chair outside the twin's hospital room.
"Where's Colten?" I asked.
"He's shut himself in his office. He feels guilty, if he'd have come sooner..."
I shook my head, "It's not his fault. It's Kale's. I never want to see him again for as long as I live." I said firmly.

"Raiven...they're putting him down tonight," Tara said quietly.
I sighed and closed my eyes, leaning back.
"It's for his own good," I said firmly.
"Can you get Colten down here? I need to see him," I said after a moment.
They both nodded and scuttled away.
After a long while, I heard footsteps and I opened my eyes to see Colten approaching me hesitantly.

His black hair was messy and stuck up at all angles and he looked like he hadn't slept in a decade. His black long sleeved top that he wore yesterday was stained with dried blood and probably sweat and tears. I dreaded to think what I looked like.
Colten managed a weak smile and held his arms out to me. I didn't hesitate for a moment and I rushed into him.

He held me tight, lifting me off the ground and breathing in as if this was the happiest moment of his life. Then he held me at arms length.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I had to sort another danger downstairs, I wish I'd taken your message seriously, I wish I hadn't prioritised them before the life of my kids, I wish -"
He blabbered all of this without pausing for a single breath.

"Shh, shh, shh," I said holding his lips together. "None of this was your fault, okay?"
His blue eyes welled up with tears and I almost started crying myself. My big tough Alpha looked helpless and lost.
"But Raiven -"
"No, no, it wasn't your fault. If anything it's my fault,"

He sighed and looked down then up at the ceiling.
"What do we do?" he whispered.
"We wait,"
"How long?" He sounded desperate it broke my heart.

The door to the twins' room opened and the doctor walked out with a nurse.
He didn't see us and took off his glasses to rub them at the end of his coat.
The nurse looked up at him.
"Will they make it?" she asked softly.
"It's fifty fifty here, but the youngest is in a pretty bad state he has less chance of survival -"