Chapter 7 (Never Was There A Tale of More Woe...)

I run. The mutts are right behind Cato and are after us. I see the the Cornicopia just seconds away from us. I know that making it on top of the structure will be the only way we can escape these Capital Creations. Cato is the first one up. I'm not far behind. He outstreches his hand. I grab it and he pulls me up. I turn for Peeta. Cato helps me but one of the mutts has a hold of Peeta's foot. The rest of them are drawn to that spot like bees to honey. Peeta slips out of my grasp and if it weren't for Cato's firm grip on my waist I would have fallen in after him. A cannon booms. I cringe and bury my face in Cato's chest. No, I didn't love Peeta but I didn't want him to go like that. Suddenly Cato's legs collapse and I fall on top of him. I look at the roof of the Cornicopia and see that it is covered in blood. I trace the blood to Cato's thigh. I can see he's going pale, he's lost too much blood. Still I try to patch up the would. Cato stops my hand. It's too late," he says coughing.

He continues, "Thresh gave it to me right before I killed him. I know a fatal wound when I see one." Tears come to my eyes. "No," I say. "I might have something in my bag. I can fix this." He coughs again, this time spitting out blood. "No Katniss. Don't. You...you can't help me." I grow desperate. "You can't leave me! Please don't leave me Cato." He smiles and lifts a hand to move hair away from my face. "I love you Katniss." Words catch in my throat. I clench his hand tightly. "I love you Cato." He smiles, then another cannon booms.

I sob. Claudius's voice rings out, proclaiming me the winner, but my brain is on other matters. I don't want to be victor. If I can't have Cato, no matter how forbidden our love was, I don't want to keep on living. I hear the chopper blades approaching. I'm running out of time.

I grab one of my arrows from my quiver and shove it up under my rib cage, piercing my heart. Blood gushes. I hear the Game Makers screaming--completely freaking out. I grimace, and pull myself over Cato's body. One last time I kiss his still warm lips. I lay on his chest and smile. No Capital medicine can save me now. The darkness envelops me.

And for the first time in Panem history. There is no victor.

**Author's note 

So I put a Romeo and Juliet kind of spin on this story :)

Feedback please!!!