Chapter 4 (The Stories a Roof Could Tell)

So we do it. We see each other in training, and every time our eyes meet, for the sake of the audience, we glare at each other. Conveying in our actions and looks that we absolutly despise each other. At one session, Cato smirks at me, running his fingers across his throat in a slitting movement. I appear so steamed that Peeta thinks he has to hold me back so I don't do anything to kill or seriously maim Cato. But its all just an act--part of our plan to hide how we really feel.

Behind the curtain it is another story. Cato and I meet almost everyday, sometimes we are lucky to meet twice a day. During these meetings we sometimes exchange our affections through kisses or hugs. But mostly we talk. I tell him about my life in District Twelve. About Prim, with her love for Lady and Buttercup, about my mother's depression and father's death. But I leave out the moments Gale and I have shared in the forest, as if those times will be misinterpreted.

Cato tells about his family, one of the richest in District Two, his love of training, his loyalty to his friends. His fears about the games and the other tributes.

But that last bit means nothing because we have each other. We know that no matter how we end the Games we will never regret these secret meetings, the meetings that keep our hearts beating as one.

Finally the day comes. The day that we are supposed to show our skills in front of the Game Makers. I get up before the rest of my crew and rush to the roof in the hopes that Cato will be there. I open the doors casually. My eyes search the empty space for him. As I step out, still searching, I find myself being pulled into and embrace by two strong arms. I smile. I know these arms well. After a few moments of silence, Cato's voice breaks it. "Are you ready?" He asks. I nod, "I want to get it over with." He chuckles. "You'll have no problem getting one of the highest scores. You'll come up with something." I playfully stick out my tongue at him. He laughs. I tell Cato,

"It won't be a problem for you either."

"I'm glad you have confidence in me."

We embrace one last time before the first lights break us apart. We know our time is up until this afternoon.

* * *

I am shocked. An eleven. An eleven! How did I manage to score an eleven? I guess the Game Makers were paying attention after all. I pace the floor of the roof, waiting for Cato. The door dings as it opens and I smile. My back is to it. I turn around, and see Peeta looking at the flower boxes. I am silent. What do I say? "Oh you're not who I wanted to see." Yeah right. I'm not cruel like that. I go and stand next to him. He smiles, "Congratulations on your score." He's clearly happy for me. My mind is elsewhere but I smile anyways. I hear the door ding again. Uh-Oh. I turn and sure enough, Cato steps out. He begins to smile, but it changes to a frown as Peeta turns aound, so quickly that one would think they imagined the smile. "What are you doing up here?" Peeta asks. Cato smirks. "I could ask you the same thing Twelve." I elbow Peeta saying, "Come on. He's not worth it." Peeta walks toward the elevato and when he turns to see if I'm coming, I throw a glare at Cato. But once Peeta's back is turned I smile weakly. Cato nods in understanding. It'll look suspicious if I stay up here or try to return tonight. We both know this meeting will have to wait till tomorrow.