Chapter 1: Getting to Know Him.

Why was it so important to me? I have never been so worried about how I looked before meeting someone, but then again, I don't even know if I will meet him. I've always been this confident, outgoing person that wasn't afraid to make a fool of herself. I'd just laugh it off, anyway. But there was something about this boy that made me feel...weird. It was a good weird, don't get me wrong, but it was different."Today is the day" I thought to myself. "Today is the day I will talk to him, I will do it!" If I was positive about one thing it was that I wasn't shy or nervous around boys, but now I wasn't so sure.

     Maybe it was his eyes. They're a beautiful, faint silver, almost gray, but they glimmered. They also looked lifeless, and I felt sorry for him. He always seemed so sad when he was alone. In front of his friends he tried to act tough, and emotionless. That was one thing about him that turned me away from getting to know him. I loved a guy who wasn't afraid to feel, or show any kind of emotion that was necessary for whatever action that set it off. But I also loved a guy that wasn't afraid to stand up for himself, and his friends. I guess that's one of the things that always pulled me back to the idea of meeting him, although he sometimes took the whole "standing up for himself" a little too far.

     I guess you could say he was a bully, but I feel like there is so much more about him that no one knows. More about him that he refuses to let out. We're kind of alike in that way. Come to think of it, we're alike in many ways. I just wish he would show more of himself, metaphorically speaking. Maybe I could change that. Maybe...just maybe... I could be the first person to actually know Draco Malfoy.

     I woke up this morning to a horrifying scream. I was still half asleep by the time I asked the girl what was wrong. I couldn't remember her name to save my life, but she kind of resembled a pug. You know, the dog. I really couldn't stand to be around her, but unfortunately I have to be in the same dormitory as her. She has the biggest crush on Draco, and I guess that makes me jealous. I thought it was rather annoying, I mean she was always fawning over him. Of course Draco loved it, even though I don't think he actually likes her back. I guess we'll find out later...maybe.

     I never did find out why she was screaming. I figure it was only a bad dream. I've had quite a few of those in the past couple of years. It's always the same dream, over and over. I don't want to get into that right now, though. I got dressed, pulled my hair into a high pony tail, and then I ran down stairs. I knew I was going to be late, but I was headed to Snape's class. He wasn't exactly nice to me. He wasn't nice to anyone, really. Except Draco. I thought Snape was a good teacher, but he always seemed down in the dumps. Always angry, and upset. He really hated Harry, I don't know why though. Sometimes I think it might be tough love, other times I really do think it's all hate.

     As I was making my way to Snape's class I bumped into someone. I looked up and seen a bunch of red hair. It was Ron Weasley. We were pretty close friends, and I knew he had a strong liking for Hermione. He made it so obvious sometimes.

"Oh, sorry about that, Ron." I said, picking up my books. He was rubbing his head.

"That's quite alright, Renai. Where have you been. Snape has been furious!" He handed me my journal and my wand, then straightened out his robes. Why was he so angry?

"Furious? I've been late before, what's the big deal now? Was it an important lesson today?" I said as I was fixing my hair. I was really confused. Snape may not like me, but he's never been mad at me for being late.

"I don't know, but we'd better get to class. Snape will get mad at me for staying out too late. I told him I had to use the restroom. I really just needed to get out of there. I think I was going to die of boredom before too long!" said Ron, shaking his head. I laughed and we walked to Snape's class together.

     As we entered the room I sat down next to Harry, it was the only open seat. I greeted him and asked where we were in the chapter and he told me. I wasn't too late, but Snape was looking at me furiously. I was surprised he didn't yell at me in front of the entire class. That's something Snape would usually do. I noticed someone staring at me from the corner of my eye. It was Draco. As I looked at him I smiled, his cheeks turned pinkish and he looked away. I then felt my cheeks burning and Harry noticed it, too.

"What was that all about?" He said, looking confused.

"What was what? I don't know what you're talking about." I looked away and kept reading.

"Yes you do! What was all the staring and smiling with Malfoy about?" He looked at Draco and then back at me.

"It was nothing. I was just being friendly, Harry!" I knew he could tell I was lying. Snape heard us and walked over to me.

"Miss Bodford, I really don't think it would be in your best interests to be talking during my class. You've already missed some of it, so if you would please pay attention to my instructions and read...that would be great." His voice was deep and intimidating. He looked at me, and Harry, then walked away.

     Class was over, finally, and I walked out with Hermione. Draco was still staring at me so I decided to tell her I had something to do. She walked away with Ron and I tried to catch up with Draco. I had to kind of speed walk to catch up with him. He was walking with two other boys, Crabbe and Goyle. I guess they were his best friends considering they were always together. He noticed me coming and told them to go away. He looked over at me and said hi.

"Hey, Malfoy." I said, nervous as ever. I kept my cool, though I was sort of trembling.

"Draco. Please, call me Draco." he said, smiling down at me. He looked straight ahead and fixed his hair.

"Okay...Draco. How are you? My name is-" he cut me off.

"Renai. I know who you are. I like that name. It fits you." He said looking over at me. I guess he noticed me blush because he chuckled and said "You know, you blush a lot!" We walked the rest of the way to the Great Hall talking about our favourite things. He didn't sit with me, though he did look at me a lot. I was starting to wonder if he liked me. Then I thought that it was ridiculous. I mean, we had only just started talking, but I sure did like him. So maybe it wasn't so ridiculous!