Chapter Twelve

12. The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend 

We were running down the mean streets of a run down town on the west coast. The heavy pounding of footsteps splashing behind us only pushed us to run faster. A red laser grazed past her head and a heart picked up a bit at the close encounter. "Don't shoot at Duplicity you moron," A deep voice warned in panic, "She'll fucking take it." From beside I could hear her heavy breaths and I knew we couldn't keep running any longer, she wouldn't be able to. I turned to her, "Keep running." She didn't need me to tell her twice, she nodded and didn't look back as I stopped. I faced the trio of angry villains and a high chin. I could hear her footsteps slowly fade lighter and lighter until they disappeared. "Have a problem, boys?" I asked with a smirk as I stared them down. The head of the group sneered down at me, "Yeah," he spat, the concrete burning and dissolving into gas underneath it, "We do."

We sat in the bathroom, her on the sink and me in front of her. I was focusing on stitching up her injury that I didn't even notice her harsh glared until I clipped the ends of the string and ran a cotton ball covered in hydrogen peroxide over the stitches lightly. "All done." I proclaimed putting away the first aid kit.

"I would say thank you if you weren't the reason that I got shot."

"What?" I laughed thinking she was getting a little loopy from the blood loss. She only continued to glare at me as we jumped down from the sink and walked out of the bathroom into the living room. "You can't be serious, Poison." I exclaimed with wide eyes following her. She plopped down onto the couch with a scowl on her face and mocked me. "I didn't do anything, you were the one who stood exposed in the warehouse." I pointed out.

"What good are those duplicates of yours if they can't even protect me!" she raged. I stood with my arms crossed and my lips set in a dull frown; choosing not to speak. "Get away from me!" She demanded with a flick of her wrist, "I can't even stand to look at you."

"You don't get to make the calls!" She yelled at me as the alarms blared off in the bank. I could hear the sound of police cars surrounding the building and I knew we were running thin on time. If we didn't leave now we were sure to get caught. I couldn't go to jail; nothing would ever be the same if I did. "We're going to get caught? What don't you understand about that?" I exclaimed; hands pulling at the ends of my hair in frustration.

" You don't know everything." She yelled with a red face, "You're unbelievably stupid, I know so much more than you could ever know. You're nothing more than a useless clone!" My hands turned to fists and my eyes narrowed into slits. It was in that moment that we both knew that the partnership we created over the year would dissolve. It was then that I knew that I would be forever crossed with Posionesis. "I hope you have fun in jail." I sneered before turning around and disappearing into the darkness of the room just in time to see the police storm into the building. "She's here! Duplicity is here!" she cried as she was thrown into handcuffs and hauled out of the building.

She never knew my name and I never knew hers. Through our partnership there was a significant lack of trust. We only knew each other skin deep and nothing more. Yes, she knew what I looked like and where I had come from, but I knew the same about her. This is why we were such great enemies. We had the power to destroy each other, but did nothing because we knew it would bring destruction. It would bring death; it reminded me much of the Old United States and Soviet Union during the cold war. Through all the years I was always wary of her, as I assume she was of me, but now that I have the original Siren Melody, I held more power than ever before. She wouldn't be able to stand the thought that I would be more powerful than her. She would come to Spektris and do everything in her power to kill me and if I wanted to beat her I would have to everything in order to stop her. If that meant I had to kill her then so be it because no one, and I mean no one, would be able to pry this stone away from me. I wouldn't be able to stop her alone, even with the help of the Anti venom that I received from Dr.Marmouth, I needed the one person that would risk their life. I needed someone who would be willing to take Poisonesis down and save the city. I needed a hero; I needed Grim.