Chapter Six

6. Once Upon an Anti Hero 

In some sort of unrealistic fairy tale I would have this beautiful life. I would have grow up in a simple two story house in the suburbs that had a pool in the backyard and a dog house for my Golden Retriever. Of course I would have a mother, a father, and a little brother who I loved dearly, an abundance of friends that was always around, and of course a boyfriend who loved me for exactly who I was. I would have the perfect hair, best skin complexion, white teeth, and amazing posture. In academics I would have excelled along with any sport of my choosing. But this wasn't a fairytale, no, this was real life. This was my life. A life that was full of hardships, betrayal, lies, and hate.

Just as it turned from April 31st, 1994 to May 1st, 1994 Evangeline S. Dunkle and Caleb M. Navas had rushed into Werversted's local hospital as snow poured heavily down onto the slippery roads. Evangeline's water broke just the clock struck twelve. Somewhere along the lines of hand crushing, crusing, screaming, and thirteen hours later a healthy eight pound baby girl was born; me. Of course at that time I was Athena R. Navas; named after the greek goddess of wisdom. I was the first born child to my parents and grandchild on both sides of my family, my birth as suppose to joyus. But it wasn't, nothing about my life was.

My mother had met my father, David Navas, when she was seventeen and he was twenty two. She had thought she was in love with him; he had took her on glorious dates, kissed her passionately, and told her that he loved her. She was smitten with him, she was absolutely hypnotized by his hazel eyes. Was it really true love though? No. See, while David was out wooing my mother he had left a wife at home; no one knew about the other expect David. Some time between the eight months my mother and David had been together she had got pregnant. That's when everything went downhill. My grandparents, who had no idea about the relationship, along with David's wife were absolutely livid. David, his wife, and my grandparents all demanded that Evangeline 'get rid of the problem.'

My mother, my dear mother, couldn't do it. She had went all the way to the clinic with David with every intention to do just what everyone asked her to. It wasn't until the doctor had to do an ultrasound when she broke. Sobbing, she had told the doctor that she couldn't do it, that she didn't want to, and apologized immensely to David. Through a fit of rage David broke the monitor and stormed out of the office and that's the last time my mother had ever seen him. When she had went home later that night, with well me, my grandparents called her a disappointing whore before kicking her out. Yes, the people who had given life to my mother had disowned her because she had wanted the child that was rightfully hers.

From there, down on her luck, my mother had no idea what to do. Three months along and my mother had nothing or no one. I could never imagine what it was like for my mother during that week she lived on streets, begging for food and water, and a dry safe place to lay down for the night. Funny enough though she never strayed too far away from home. When Monday rolled around my mother had been exhausted and hungry, she knew it wasn't a good situation for a baby. She was close to having a panic attack, of losing hope, but then something amazing happened. Caleb had found her.

Caleb Navas, my 'father' on my birth certificate, was David's older brother. He was my uncle and my mother's saviour, in a sense he was mine too. At twenty four Caleb never thought that he was going to take care of a seventeen year old disgraced pregant girl, but there he was. Once my uncle had heard the news that his brother had knocked up a seventeen year old only to abandon her he was disgusted with David and knew that the baby needed a father figure. Though he never met my mother; he had a sense of moral obligation to look after her and his niece. So, he had set out to find my mother after finding out where she lived from David only to find out that my grandparents had kicked her out.