s.z | one shot | a perfect storm

The following one-shot is for @WRESTLINGCOMMUNITY 's contest. 

--------------

Her heart was pounding in her throat

Her heart was pounding in her throat. She glance over her left shoulder, then over her right - she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being hunted. The snow was drifting down lazily, but it was coming down heavy enough to make vision slightly more difficult that normal. The brunette paused, perked her head, and listened intently. At first, she was sure she heard crunching footsteps, but after a moment of analyzing, she determined it was her imagination. 

She looked around her for a sign of life, but all she saw was the hundreds of evergreen trees standing as silent sentries. It was a breathtaking scene, and she surely would have stopped to admire it under different circumstances. 

Maybe I lost him, she thought, a proud smile creeping onto her lips. Her white breath danced with the snow as she exhaled a breath she didn't realize she had been holding. 

Loud, thunderous footsteps were suddenly crashing towards her, and she spun around with a muffled scream of surprise and anticipation to meet her 'attacker'. 

"Sami!" She cried out in horror as the figure stood before her, snowball in hand and poised to be thrown directly at her. The woman put her hands up in surrender, eyeing the red-head before her defiantly. Sami was bundled warmly in a puffy, black winter coat, his head layered with earmuffs, a knit cap, and his coat hood. His snow pants made his legs and chest look larger than reality, but the woman still thought he was handsome, nonetheless.

"I've finally gotcha', Quinn," Sami purred, his menacing weapon winking at its victim. "Gotcha' right where I want ya'." 

Quinn was feeling frantic - she had never managed to hit her boyfriend with a snowball; he was way more athletic than she was, and he was twice as quick. Her eyes darted to the ground as she considered crafting a snowball of her own, but she knew she would be shot down. She was at his mercy, for now at least. 

"Oh, Sami," Quinn stammered, fluttering her eyes back up to him. "Can't we work this out like civilized human beings?" 

The Canadian-native paused to think for a moment. "Civilized human beings?" He mused. "Do you consider yourself to be a civilized human being after you left me with all the dishes last night?" His tone was jokingly playful, but she knew that a wrong reaction would give him a reason for cold, snowy retribution. 

"I made the dinner," she mutter under her breath. He raised a brow as a smile cracked his serious demeanor, and he drew dangerously close to breaking character. Sami cleared his throat and reset his face.

"Do you have any final words?"

Quinn pondered this for a moment, biting her lip in thought. "Does 'I love you' get me out of this situation?" she asked sweetly, throwing in a wink for good measure. Sami's heart fluttered at the words that he has heard a thousand times, yet his reaction was the same as the first time he heard them. He crept into his cheeks, but he would blame it on the biting cold if he was questioned. 

"Nope," he replied quickly, popping his lips on the 'p' sound for extra emphasis. "But I have a deep affection for you, as well." He added it quickly, a sheepish smile on his lips for a moment before he wiped it away to return to his serious deposition. 

Suddenly, as if struck by lightning, an idea came to mind. Quinn had been searching for a way to tell Sami a big secret she had been keeping from him for the past two weeks, and this bombshell would undoubtedly rescue her from his clutches. Her heart was racing again, and a smile was seemingly stuck to her face.

"You can't hit me with that snowball, Sami Zayn."

"Why the heck not?" Sami challenged playfully, raising a brow. 

"Because," she paused, letting nothing but the wind speak between them for the moment. She suddenly doubted if this was her best idea, but she sensed that she was already too deep to back out now. Sami looked at her expectantly, excited even, she Quinn worried that he might already know. "I'm pregnant."

Quinn had seen many videos of men reacting to their woman telling them they were expecting. Some men cried, others denied it in that happy, unable-to-believe-your-ears way. Sami was neither of those. 

Sami was nothing but smiles immediately, throwing the snowball in the air with jubilation as he whooped and cheered. His heart was swelling in his chest, and he was unable to contain the strain of yes's, yeah's, and hell yeah's that poured from his mouth. He stopped his celebrating as he turned to notice the woman that made it all possible - Quinn. 

"Oh my goodness, babe, I'm so glad!" Sami bellowed as he came bounding towards her, slowing himself down before he embraced her, instinctually aware of how gentle he must now be. He wrapped her up in his arms, jumping up and down with excitement (only for a moment before he realized how odd he must look). 

Quinn was flooded with relief. She had been holding that secret in for weeks, and she was so happy to finally let it out. Sami's reaction had made it all worth it, but one thing was odd. "You're...glad?" She questioned. The wording was just so different from what she was expecting.

"Yes, I'm glad," Sami repeated, pulling his face back from her shoulder so he could look her in the eyes. "I'm glad that out of all the people in this world, I was lucky enough for you to choose me. I'm out here in this perfect storm, with this perfect woman, who just gave me the most perfect news. So, yes, I'm glad. I'm glad I was blessed with such a perfect life, which would be nothing without you and-"

His speech had stirred up such raw emotion in her, and Quinn was overcome with happiness and emotion. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she grabbed Sami's face in her mittened hands, pulling his lips forcefully to hers and sharing a passionate kiss. A perfect life with the perfect man. 

The pair pulled away, giggling like schoolgirls as their breath mingled in the frigid air. Quinn pressed her forehead to Sami's, and they just stood there like that for a moment, and the moments turned to minutes in that perfect storm.