Chapter 1- Possibilities

Author’s note: Firstly, I wish to thank you all for being so patient with my updating of this story. I know it’s been a long time coming!

So, I wanted to put it out there from the beginning that Edward and the Cullens do NOT appear in this story until Chapter 3. In the mean time, I thought I would introduce you to Severus and what his life is like at this moment in time. This provided me with an exciting opportunity to think about what happened to Severus in the hours just after Lily and James’ murder. Therefore, the first two chapters revolve around Severus’ experience of the hours prior to discovering Lily’s death to when he enters a pub (in which Edward will meet him in Chapter 3). Just a reminder that Severus is only 21 years of age, and has been a Death Eater for 3-4 years at this stage of the story.

Finally, I wish to thank my brother for spending some time discussing with me all the possible and plausible ways that Severus could have discovered that Lily was murdered reasonably quickly after her death. I fully understand that there are MANY ways in which he could have found out, but I hope you will agree that the one depicted in this story is one such possibility.

So enough of my rambling; I truly hope you enjoy this chapter. Please take the time to vote and comment when you’re done! I look forward to reading your feedback J

‘Leave me’

Chapter 1- Possibilities

6:00 pm 31st October 1981

Severus’ POV

       At the conclusion of three hours worth of meetings with the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters, I was certain of one thing: the Dark Lord was dangerously near the end of his tether regarding the whereabouts of Lily and James Potter. Of course, I was relieved he had yet to find them, and I would not complain if I had to endure another hundred such meetings if that would guarantee Lily’s safety. As far as I was concerned, the longer Lily could be kept away from the Dark Lord’s reach, the better. Even though the Dark Lord had miraculously agreed to spare Lily’s life at my request, I still lay awake every night praying that my master would remain unsuccessful in discovering her location. I trusted the Dark Lord to keep his word, but knowing Lily as I liked to think I did; his promise to me would be forgotten if she did not allow him to kill her son.

She would be dead if He found her.

I shook my head, determined not to think on it any longer; Dumbledore would have ensured her safety somehow.

Instead, I reflected on the long, intense meeting I left thirty minutes ago. All of the Death Eaters were sitting or standing in the one room in constant fear of the Dark Lord’s volatile temper and sporadic torturing when one of us did not bring him the news he hoped for. The mere memory of the way his red eyes gleamed at his victims- his followers, still sent a chill down my spine. I knew I was not the only one who felt the intense malicious charge that seemed to radiate from our master this afternoon; the fool Wormtail was particularly edgy tonight, jumping out of his skin when anyone spoke to him. I wondered whether a part of him felt guilty for being a Death Eater now that his once good friends were the focus of our every conversation with the Dark Lord, but then remembered that cowardice dictated his every action. If Wormtail perceived himself in danger, he would do anything to ensure his safety, even if that meant secretly working in opposition to his best friends. This much I had learnt from working with the man over the last couple of years, and the fact he was still a successful spy for the Dark Lord after all this time continued to amaze me; I doubt whether even Dumbledore knows of his treachery.

        When I arrived home, I headed straight towards the bathroom with the intention of having a warm shower. I pulled off my cloak and robes as I went, chucking them haphazardly onto my bed. In a daze-like state, knowing I would have to endure a similar meeting tomorrow night, I took my time disrobing, whilst I waited for the water to warm up.