Chapter Three

Right on time at 2pm Malachi Marsden knocked on my door. I was surprised when I opened it to be greeted by a young man, around Lucas’ age. I’d assumed he was about 25, so that wasn’t what caught me off guard. He was stunning. Literally stunning. His dark hair was slicked back, but it looked as though if it were productless, it might actually be curly. His eyes were dark brown and his skin was flawless. He wore a grey pinstriped tailored suit that fit in a way I’d seen male models in fashion magazines wear. It seemed a little overkill to where a tailored suit to a house call. Given that he’d come from work I figured he probably didn’t always dress lke this. Surprisingly I found myself wondering what he was like outside of work.

“Uh, hi, I’m Charlotte” I mumbled like an idiot, holding my hand out. Malachi shook my hand perfectly. Not a weak limp wristed shake, but a firm grasp. My father had always told me that you could tell a lot about a person from their handshake, and Malachi’s was flawless.

“Malachi Marsden” He replied

I ushered him inside and we made our way in to the kitchen. I’d cleaned up while I had been waiting for him to arrive. The kids were still up stairs, so we got straight down to business.

My parents estate was literally only enough to pay off the mortgage. I wouldn’t even have enough left to buy a reliable car. I was thankful of course that we’d have a house to live in, but now I needed work even faster than I’d expected. My parents had requested that I make the decision about the kids if they’re still minors. Of course, I said without even thinking about it that I wanted to keep them together, with me.

Malachi and I set out about filling in the necessary forms. He advised me that the judge would want to look over the case, and that he may request social worker visits before granting custody.

“it’s a brave thing you’re doing, I hope you know that” Malachi said as he packed up his papers “As a friend of your parents, I know that you get your courage from them. Just don’t try take it all on by yourself. Share the load.”

“Uh, thank you” I replied softly

“Including me. I don’t usually do pro bono, but I did for your parents, and I will for you. So call me anytime alright”

“Alright, I'll do that. Thank you Mr Marsden”

“Malachi, please. I'll be in touch in regards to the funeral and the hearing. Take care”

I walked Malachi to the door and watched as he walked down the path to his mercedes. He drove off, and smiled for a second before I head a voice call out from my left

“Who was that guy?”

“That was my parents Lawyer Lucas. Why, are you jealous?”

“Maybe I am. I mean he drives a car that is worth more than my yearly salary.”

Work, right. I needed a job like yesterday. I frowned and sort of nodded in Lucas' direction then walked back inside and shut the door. I'd need to look for a job and plan a funeral, it hardly seemed ideal, but it was necessity.

I booted up the desk top in the kitchen and applied for five jobs before the kids came back downstairs. Eventually the the two younger kids and Ana came down. I put tangled on and the two younger kids sat down on the couch to watch it. Tom had stayed upstairs in his room. This was going to be so hard on him, I mean it was going to be hard for all of us, but losing his parents at the cusp of teenage hood was a torturous punishment.

“So, you and Luke?” Ana exclaimed as she walked in to the kitchen

“I don't have time for guys, besides me and Lucas are friends, that's all we've ever been” I replied honestly.