Chapter Nine

He walked away from me, and everything inside begged me to stop him, begged me to admit I felt the same, but the door closed behind him, and I sat alone. I looked over at his place for a while, remembering all of the time we'd spent together, when things were simpler. I needed that back, so much so, that something came over me, I couldn't stop myself, I walked over to Lucas' house and found the spare key. I walked through the house and let it sink in. I'd spent the better part of 3 years imagining being a bigger part of this house, of his house. I hadn't imagined any of it would come about like it had, in my imagination it had been easy, and my parents had been there. There was no chance of easy...  Not for me, not anymore.

I walked into his bedroom and sat on the bed. I closed my eyes and thought about the times we had sat together and talked about music. It had been a double edged sword being so close to him, as painful as it was inspiring. As much as I promised myself to walk away and find friends my own age, I couldn't.

I lay down on the bed and sighed, I missed those moments, as painful as they had been. Lucas's axe spray wafted through my nose, I let my fingers run over his blanket, the room smelt like him. Being in here now was just painful, a reminder of what I shouldn't have. I had too much baggage now, letting him go was the right thing to do. I closed my eyes and tried to take what I could, while I could.

"Don't let your heart die." Mom's voice whispered softly.

"Mom?" I called out, I was in a room, one I had never seen before, it was bright white, plan with no decoration, yet somehow it was the most exquisite place I had seen. I lifted my head and saw two shadowy figures, I could barely make them out as they walked towards me.

"Dad?"

"You have a life to live Charlie." Dad replied. "You deserve happiness."

"But I have the kids to think about."

"The kids are fine, you're just scared of losing him. You always have been." Mom's voice soothed. She stood in front of me now, and I was crying, even though it was a dream, and I knew that now, My mother was as beautiful as ever, I didn't want to wake up.

"Can I stay with you guys?" I croaked through my cloak of tears.

"You know that isn't possible." Dad replied. "But we're always in here." Dad tapped his chest and kissed me on the head, and it felt real, I could feel the bristles of his beard scrape me.

"Don't hold back. Love... please just love." Mom said as the room began to fade, and the brightness become darker.

When I opened my eyes Lucas was rocking me gently. I could feel tears rolling down my cheeks, my dream had been surreal and amazing. Reality came crashing back down all too quickly.

"Shit, the kids." I croaked sitting bolt upright.

"Ana's home. She sent me over here, she saw the light on."

I looked at Luke and bit my lip, my parents words echoed in my head. "My life changed when I met you Lucas."

"I know what you mean."

"I imagined my first kiss... with you, all the time." I whispered. "Surprisingly, our first kiss exceeded expectations."

"Did it now." Lucas replied with a sly grin

"We wasted so much time."

"We don't have to keep wasting it Charlie. I don't want too."

"I'm scared." I whispered.