Chapter Six

We were silent for a while, but there was no awkwardness.  Finally Lucas spoke

“I know I already asked last night, but how was your first day of work?”

“Long, but nice. We ate pancakes in the early hours of the morning” I laughed. “And I have to wear an awful uniform.”

Lucas chuckled, His hand rose to my shoulder, over the spot where my tattoo was.

“You looked fine. Your tattoo… I didn’t dream that did I.”

I slid the collar of my shirt over my shoulder and bared the skin etched with Lucas’ art. His fingers traced the picture once again, except this time he stopped and pulled his hand away suddenly.

“Sorry.” He mumbled standing up. “I uh… better go pack some stuff to bring over.”

“Okay.” I replied

He nodded then left the room without another word. My shoulder burned from his touch. I ached just thinking about how much I needed him. Inviting him in like this was playing with fire, but going along with this preposterous plan was setting a fire beneath our feet. We were asking for drama in one way or another, something would have to give and it wouldn’t be the kids.

But for now this would have to work. I’d deal with the fall out later.

I fell back on my bed and pulled the pillow back into my arms. I inhaled Lucas’ scent once more then stood up and walked out of the room.

“You’re going to do it?” Ana jumped up and down she grabbed my hand and grinned from ear to ear. I frowned then folded my arms tightly across my chest.

“You had no right Ana.”

“I’m sorry. I just thought…”

“You didn’t think” I interrupted her and pointed upstairs. “Those kids love Lucas, what’s going to happen when they find out that this supposed relationship isn’t real? They’ve just lost their parents. We’ve all just lost our parents Ana. They don’t need another broken parental unit… and I don’t need to pretend I’m not in love with the guy I’m in love with, while I’m supposed to be pretending I am in fact in love with him.” I said angrily, realising what I’d said straight after, realising what I had admitted.

“Whoa.”

“Yeah. Um… I didn’t say that okay.” I replied looking down the hall, breathing in relief at the still closed door.

“Yeah you did. You should tell him.”

“No. That is the worst idea, aside from this one, that I ever heard. He’s my best friend, feelings will ruin that”
“Not if he feels the same!”

“Drop it okay. Please.”

Ana lifted her hand and nodded. “Fine. Consider this conversation wiped.”

“Thanks.”

I walked away, back into the kitchen and made a coffee. A few minutes later the door opened and Lucas called out. “Hey honey, I’m home.” Usually I’d have laughed, but I couldn’t not after I had admitted to Ana the one thing I hadn’t even been admitting to myself.

Lucas walked in to the kitchen and placed his hand on my shoulder as I picked up my coffee cup.

“You okay?”

“Yeah.” I replied softly. The real answer was no, I wasn’t okay, but I couldn’t be weak, not around Lucas. Vulnerable Charlotte would ache for him.