sixteen

The next day I decided to go out, not caring that I would most likely bump into her.

If I bumped into her I would try to comfort her because like I said, I want to make her feel like she's special.

I walked into town, dodging the people who were in my way. I came across an ice cream parlor. I loved ice cream with all my heart. It's the only thing that truly made me happy when I was a child.

I walked in and was instantly greeted with fresh air and the chatter of the people who were here. Everyone sat and ate their ice creams with big smiles.

I decided to order my favorite, chocolate. When I finished ordering, I went to look for a table. I went all the way to the back when I spotted a girl wearing a hat that covered some of her face. It took me a while to notice that it was the girl I had my eye on.

I hesitantly walked up to her table. She looked up and that was when I noticed the blue and purple bruise on her left cheek.

My eyes widended and she must have seen, so she quickly covered her cheek with her hand.

"W-what happened to your cheek?" I managed to say.

"Nothing!" She answered quickly.

I sighed and sat on the chair in front of her.

"Please, let me help you." I said.

"Why would you want to help a lost cause like me?" She said after a while of silence.

I smiled a sad smile.

"Because I myself am a lost cause."