Chapter Thirty Three

"What are we doing on the Quidditch pitch?" Albus says as the group makes their way onto the pitch. Delphi is walking with a newfound confidence and power. She doesn't answer Albus's question.

"The Triwizard Tournament," Scorpius says. "The third task. The maze. This is where the maze was. We're going back for Cedric." Alice stands next to Scorpius, the two of them standing with their arms pressed together. It brings a sense of comfort to both of them, being that close to each other.

"Yes," Delphi confirms. "It is time to spare the spare once and for all. We will go back for Cedric and I'm doing so we will resurrect the world you saw, Scorpius..."

"Hell," Scorpius says. "You want to resurrect Hell?"

"I want a return to pure and strong magic," Delphi says. "I want to rebirth the Dark."

"You want Voldermort's return?" Scorpius says in disbelief.

"The one true ruler of the wizarding world," Delphi says. "He will return. Now you've ensured the first two tasks are a little clogged up with magic— there are at least two visits from the future in both of them and I will not risk being revealed or distracted. The third task is clean, so let's start there, shall we?" Alice can hardly believe what she is hearing. She knew it all along— she at least had a strong feeling— that something wasn't right with Delphi. But she could have never imagined it would be this terrible.

"We won't stop him— whatever you force us to do— we know he needs to win the tournament with my dad," Albus tells her.

"I don't just want you to stop him," Delphi says. "I want you to humiliate him. He needs to fly out of the maze  naked on a broomstick made of purple feather dusters. Humiliation got you there before and it'll get us there. And the prophecy will be fulfilled."

"Wasn't aware that there was a prophecy, what prophecy?" Scorpius asks.

"You have seen the world as it should be, Scorpius, and today we're going to ensure it's return," Delphi says.

"We won't," Albus defies. "We won't obey you. Whoever you are. Whatever you want us to do."

"Of course you will," Delphi says, matter-of-fact.

"You'll have to use Imperio," Albus says. "You'll have to control me."

"No. To fulfill the prophecy, this has to be you, not a puppet of you," Delphi explains. "You have to be the one to humiliate Cedric, so Imperio just won't do. I'll have to force you by other means."

Alice glares at the girl, furious. "You're a horrible person," She seethes. "You're a monster. Do you know how wrong this is?"

"Wrong?" Delphi raises an eyebrow. "No, Alice. I will make the wizarding world the way it should be."

"Do your worst," Albus says. Delphi looks at the boy before turning her wand to Scorpius.

"I will," she says. Alice's eyes widen.

"No!" Albus says.

"Yes, as I thought— this seems to frighten you more," Delphi says.

"Whatever she does to me— we can't let her—" he begins, but Delphi strikes him with the torture curse. Scorpius yells out in pain.

"Stop it!" Alice screams at Delphi. The girl aims her wand at the brunette in reply, striking her with the Crucio curse as well. A horrible pain spreads through her and she cries out.

"I will..." Albus starts to say.

Delphi laughs. "What? What on earth do you think you can do? A wizardwide disappointment? A sore on your family name? A spare? You want me to stop hurting your only friends? Then do what you're told."

She looks at Albus and sees the resistance in his eyes. "No? Crucio!"

"Stop," Albus pleads. "Please."

Another student rushes towards them. Alice notices this kid as Craig Bowker Junior.

"Scorpius?" He says, out of breath. "Alice? Albus? Everyone's looking for you—"

"Craig," Albus says. "Get away. Get help!"

"What's happening?" Craig says, confused.

"Avada Kedavra!" Delphi sends a blast of green light from her wand at the innocent boy. He is propelled backwards and immediately killed. Alice feels like she is going to be sick.

There's a long silence until Delphi speaks again.

"Do you not understand? These are not childish games we are playing here. You are useful to me, your friends are not." The children glance at Craig's dead body, full of fear.

"It took me a long time to discover your weakness, Albus Potter. I though it was pride, I thought it was the need to impress your father, but then I realized your weakness was the same as your father's: friendship. You will do exactly as you're told, otherwise Scorpius and Alice will die, just like that spare did."

She looks at the three of them. "Voldemort will return and the Augurey will sit at his side. Just as it was prophesized. "When spares are spared, when time is turned, when unseen children murder their fathers: Then the Dark Lord will return"."

Alice's lower lip trembles as Delphi jerks Scorpius and herself towards her. "Cedric is the spare, and Albus—" She releases Alice and uses her free hand to pull Albus towards her. "The unseen child who will kill his father by rewriting time and so return the Dark Lord." 

Alice's head dips slightly, feeling dizzy and sick. The Time-Turner starts to rotate. Delphi adjusts all three of them so their hands are all positioned over the device.

"Now!"

Alice's mind and body is a swarming sea of madness as the four of them go back in time, again.