Chapter Three

Scorpius does not remember a time where he was this happy.

Alice knew his name. Alice, the girl he has been silently crushing on since first year, actually knows his name, and it seems like she does not believe the rumors about him that are swirling about the school daily.

She does not believe them, and he has never felt happier. Because now he has a chance with her.

Scorpius cradles his Transfiguration text book against his arm and nearly skips down the corridor to the classroom, he's so overjoyed. His happiness makes him oblivious to the judgmental stares his peers are giving him as he passes them by.

Once inside the classroom, Scorpius takes his usual seat next to Albus. The Potter actually greets him without disgust, as he has been on the days that Scorpius obsesses so obviously over Alice.

"Hey," Albus says, arranging his books on his desk without looking up at his friend. Scorpius furrows his eyebrows but manages a small smile. He can tell that Albus is making an effort to be nice, which is a slight change from the rude behavior he has had towards Scorpius the past few days.

"Hello," Scorpius replies. Professor McGonagall enters the room, striding towards the front of the class to begin the lesson. Albus and Scorpius do not speak to each other for the remainder of the hour.

***

The day goes by quickly for Alice, who spends the remaining hour of the day in her father's classroom before she goes up to the Gryffindor common room.

"So," Neville Longbottom says. "His name is Malfoy?" Alice does not miss the hint of uneasiness in his voice. She is quick to reassure him.

"Yes, dad," she says, sitting down in one of the chairs in the empty classroom and putting her feet up on the desk. "And I know what you're thinking. But Scorpius is really nice."

Neville scratches the back of his neck. He cannot help the slight discomfort he feels about his daughter spending time with a Malfoy, even if that time is short. He remembers his days as a student at Hogwarts, how Draco Malfoy and his band of minions bullied him mercilessly.

But he trusts Alice's judgement. She is very smart and would not hang around with someone if she did not like them.

"Dad," she repeats herself. "It's fine. I promise." She smiles a little, which helps to settle the uneasy feeling in his stomach.

Neville relaxes. "Okay." He smiles at his daughter before walking towards the very front of the room to adjust some of his things for the next day of classes.

A sudden knock on the door makes Alice crinkle her eyebrows. Who would be here this late in the evening?

Alice decides that it must be Professor McGonagall or one of the other teachers.

"I'll get it," the girl says, saving her dad another walking trip across the room. She stands up and goes the couple steps to the door and opens it, preparing to greet one of her Professors and have to explain why she is out of her bed this late.

Her eyes go wide at the sight of the two people who are standing on the opposite side of the door. They are not Professors, in fact, they are the very last two people she expected to see.

It is Harry and Ginny Potter.

Alice can easily identify the two. They both fought during the Second Wizard War, and Harry Potter himself killed Voldemort, the most powerful dark wizard at that time. Of course, by that time, Harry was already the most famous person in the wizard world, because he survived the Killing Curse — cast by Voldemort — when he was just a baby.

Alice tries to keep herself calm and greets the married couple as if they are just your average wizards.

"Hello," she smiles sweetly, voice sounding somehow smaller than normal. Harry Potter does not seem to notice this. He returns the smile — as does his wife.

"Hi," he says. "Is Professor Longbottom here?" Alice nods, turning to tell her dad, but he is already smiling, coming forward to hug his old friends. Alice moves to the side of the classroom, feeling awkward, like she is ruining a special moment by being there.

"Harry! Ginny!" Neville says happily as he hugs each of them. "It's been too long. What are you doing here?"

"Just thought we'd come and say hello," Ginny says. "You're right, it has been too long, Neville." The three are smiling at one another, then Neville remembers that Alice is standing there awkwardly to the side.

"Oh!" He says. "You haven't met my daughter." He moves behind her and sets his hand on her shoulder. "This is Alice." The girl smiles politely once again.

Ginny grins. "It's nice to meet you, Alice."

A second knock on the door catches Alice's attention. Neville goes to answer it, seeing that it's Rose standing on the other side, looking for her friend.

"I suppose it is getting late, Alice," the Professor says. "Perhaps you should get back to the dormitory."

Alice collects her things and leaves, mumbling a goodnight to her father and squeezing by the Potters awkwardly without saying anything more to them.

***

"She's sweet," Ginny says after the girls have left the room and gone to bed. Neville smiles.

"Yeah, a bit shy, though," he says. "Especially around you." He looks at Harry, who furrows his eyebrows. "She's a big fan," Neville explains.

Ginny smiles again. "Aw."

***

Alice walks side by side with her red-haired friend all the way back up to the girls' dormitory. The shock of meeting Harry and Ginny has already worn off. It is a quiet walk, for the most part, which Alice takes as Rose being upset with her. Perhaps it is because of Scorpius again.

It is not until they are in their pajamas when Alice works up the nerve to ask her friend what's bothering her.

"Are you upset with me?"

Rose doesn't look at her as she busies herself with fixing her bed. When she speaks, it is in an upbeat yet obviously forced tone. "No."

"It seems like you are," Alice interjects, laying down beneath her own sheets.

"Well, I'm not," Rose answers sharply, turning on her side so her back is to her friend. But Alice does not stop pressing.

"Is it because of Scorpius?"

Rose lets out a groan of frustration before flipping over to face her brunette friend. "Yes, Alice. It's because of Scorpius. Now, please. Go. To. Bed."

She flips back over, long red hair flying all over the place.

Alice lay bewildered and hurt in her bed, wondering if she would get any sleep during the night.