Chapter Nine

For the remainder of the day, Alice and Scorpius walk around Hogsmeade, going through nearly every store together. Alice gushes over things that she finds interesting in each store, which brings a smile to Scorpius's face. He's glad to see her happy, to see her smile.

Alice does not forget to buy Teddy's requested sweets, along with some treats for Rose and Lily. She also buys Rose some new Quidditch gloves, even though she's not one hundred percent sure that she needs new ones. It's just as well, Alice is sure that Rose will appreciate it.

Throughout the day, the pair continue to get weird stares casted in their direction. Scorpius seems a little uncomfortable about it, though he attempts not to show it. But Alice can see it.

This is already her third year at Hogwarts, in the Gryffindor house, but she has never really felt like she fits in, not like the others. But in this moment, when she so bravely takes Scorpius's hand in hers, she knows that she was sorted into the right house.

The boy turns and looks at her slightly wide eyed, clearly taken by surprise.

"Ignore them," she says softly, looking into his eyes. "If they've got nothing better to do with their time then stare, then you should pity them for having such boring lives." Scorpius does not know what to say, at least not right away. The fact that Alice does not let go of his hand doesn't help his inability to think properly.

"T-thanks," he sputters, feeling a little guilty for only saying one word in response to her rant. That one simple word does not even come close to summing up how grateful he is that Alice says things like that to him. He hopes that he will soon be able to thank her properly, in a way that shows he really cares for her and every time she speaks it only increases his feelings for her.

She doesn't say anything else, just takes his hand and leads him along to the next store with a small grin on her face. It's enough to make Scorpius smile, too.

By the time they return to the castle in the evening, it is dark outside and students are beginning to shuffle up the stairs to their designated dormitories to go to bed. Alice and Scorpius simultaneously stop in the corridor, where they must part ways.

Alice turns to face him with a small smile. "I had fun today."

"So did I," Scorpius agrees.

"We ought to do it again sometime," Alice says, before she can stop herself. A blush rises to her cheeks and she is surprised at her own bluntness. "I mean, if you'd like."

"Yeah, of course!" The boy replies, eyes sparkling with happiness as he tries to contain his smile. "I mean, yes, I'd like that."

Alice chuckles. "Okay."

"Okay."

"Well, good night, Scorpius," she says.

"G'night, Alice."

The two awkwardly part and each go to their dormitories, and despite the somewhat awkward air between the two, they each have big smiles on their faces as they lay down to go to sleep that night.

***

Alice expected the girls to ask questions, of course, but when she began the day with a bright smile and even brighter attitude, Rose and especially Lily pressed for every single detail of the previous day at Hogsmeade.

She gave them their treats as a means of distracting them from the questions, but that did not go how she wanted it to. The girls tore into the candy, thanked Alice numerous times for buying them, and then continued to bombard her with questions, as if nothing happened.

"What did I do to deserve this?!" Alice grumbled and let her head drop onto the fluffy pillow beneath her, as if burying her face there would block out the questions. But she could still hear the girls' voices, loud and clear.

"Where did you go first? Was it awkward? Was it romantic? Did he buy you gifts? Did you hold hands? Did you kiss?"

Alice wanted to perform the silencing charm on them but thought better of it. She did not want to get in trouble. Even though this seems like a perfect time to practice it, and it would be a good way to shut the two up.

"We are pretty amazing, aren't we?" Lily says in response to Alice's earlier question. The brunette mumbles a curse word under her breath before lifting her head to look at the red head.

"That was rhetorical!" She exclaims.

"Why won't you tell us about the date?" Rose questions, changing the subject without any subtlety. Alice groans in frustration.

"You know what we did, we walked around Hogsmeade," she answers vaguely. Lily raises an eyebrow.

"And?"

"'And' what?" Alice asks, annoyed.

"And, did you kiss him?"

"No!"

"Why not?" Rose speaks this time, and Alice is surprised.

"Hello, because that was our first day we really spent together," she says, swinging her legs over the edge of her four poster bed and sitting up. "So, if there's gonna be any kissing, it's going to be later. Way later."

Lily rolls her eyes. "You're no fun."

Alice does not say anything as she gets up and combs her hair. She decides to take a quick shower before starting the day, still unsure of how she was going to spend it. She does not have any homework to catch up on, it is already finished, of course. Rose has Quidditch practice for the better part of the day, and Lily is 'too tired to do anything but sleep', as she liked to put it. Alice did not question it, as she has had a few of those sleepy days herself.

So, after she eats a decent amount of food for breakfast, she decides to simply take a walk outside. The days are getting warmer, which is much better in Alice's opinion because it gives her more chances to go outside. Winter is absolutely dreadful to her because it's freezing and everyone gets sick, and when she walks outside, her feet get wet from the snow.

Even on this spring day, the grass is damp, but not enough to irritate Alice. Her shoes become damp, as are the edges of her robes as she walks across the school grounds side by side with Teddy. She was more than surprised when he asked her for details on the previous day, but grateful that he did not ask for too much or tease her any further for spending time with Scorpius. She guesses that this is his subtle way of thanking her for the sweets.

"You had a good time with him, then?" Teddy asks.

"Yes, except everyone was giving us funny looks the entire time."

"Didn't that bother you?"

Alice shakes her head. "No, not me. But it made Scorpius upset. I think that he was worried what I might think of him because of what everyone else thinks, that I would believe the rumors just because everyone else seems to."

"But you don't, do you?"

"Absolutely not."