Chapter 3: This Isn't My Family

[AN: Jordan left me such an opening. *insert evil cackle* Must dramatize all the things! All the things!]

[ANNABELLE’S POV]

When I was a little kid the most terrifying thing was for an adult to tell me that we needed to talk. Usually it came from one of the teachers at the boarding schools I went to. Even if I was positive that I had done nothing wrong just the phrase “we need to talk” set every nerve in my body on fire in anticipation. Would they kick me out? Had I failed a test? Or worse, had my father passed away leaving my life in the hands of whoever he was currently married to?

I used to think that talking it out was the most terrifying thing I could ever face, but now I know it’s not. The most terrifying thing for an adult is silence when you need to talk something out. Liam had appeared furious to find out I was pregnant. I had confirmed I was indeed pregnant with a small head nod. I expected him to rip into me for hiding it from him. Instead he had sighed before speaking one fateful sentence.

“I just---don’t talk to me for a while Annabelle,” Liam muttered before walking off to get ready for dinner. Not only did he not want to talk, but he used my full name. I couldn’t even remember the last time he used my full name.

Now that he knew about the pregnancy we had to talk. Liam swore to quit the band so he could always be there for his family, but would he really do that now? Sure Harry had left, but he would see straight and come back once he got over his anger. But if Liam left because I was going to have his child—I would be the Yoko Ono of One Direction. I would be the woman who broke up a group that has been hailed to be the next Beatles. I couldn’t let him do that. I just couldn’t. I sighed and stared down at my wedding ring wondering what to do.

“So how is married life treating you Liam?” Harry’s mum Anne asked with a soft smile. “Are we going to hear the pitter patter of little feet soon?” I was starting to understand why Harry always said his mum had horrid timing and was way too nosy. Did I have a bump showing already?

“Well—,“ Liam started out before Harry interrupted walking back into the room.

“Mum, this is Liam we are talking about,” Harry chuckled. “He always swore that he would quit if he started having babies. I’m sure he and the missus glove up each night to prevent any little Paynes for now.” 

“What did you just call me?” I hissed as Harry grinned.

“The Missus,” Harry teased as if he had never left. “Is that a problem?”

“I’m gonna kill you Styles!” I screeched jumping at him and knocking him to the floor. “I have a name! Say it! Say it!” I tickled him mercilessly without a care for the crowd in the living room.

“Annabelle,” Harry choked out between his peals of laughter. “Your name is Missus Annabelle.”

“Oh you’re gonna pay Styles!”

“Dinner is ready,” Anne called out with a cheerful smile. “You can make him pay after dinner.” Liam helped me and Harry up from the floor as everyone headed into the dining room. I felt a little lighter having lifted up the mood with my attack on Harry. I had missed just goofing off with the lads. Things have just been so tense on this tour.

“Annabelle,” Liam whispered into my ear pulling me against his side before I could make my way to dining room. “Behave yourself. A future mother should not be rolling around on the floor like a lunatic.” He pulled away again practically stomping to the dining room as my entire mood deflated. Why was he so mean? Liam used to be fun. He used to make me smile. Where had my Liam gone?