Chapter 6:

Chapter 6:
The next time the carriage stopped, I knew my ride was over. The knots in my stomach had tripled. I was meeting the Count of Dubois. I was meeting my husband. The man I had sadly been forced to marry. I wondered if he dreaded this as much as I did. He probably wanted nothing to do with me. Maybe he'd be so upset, that he wouldn't meet me. Maybe I could spend my entire life here without interacting with him once. I shook my head. The chances of that were skim. Suddenly, the carriage door opened.

       "Miss," the driver held out his hand. I took it. The house in front of me was beyond anything I'd ever imagined. It was large and stone with two towers on either side of it. There was a large door with a brass knocker straight ahead. The steps leading up to the door were curved. Candles were carefully placed in every window, making shadows seem to appear behind them. I turned to the driver who looked at me with pity. My bags were already at the top of the steps. Slowly, I walked to the door. I heard the driver get back in his carriage, and the thundering of the horses' hooves as they disappeared into the night. I picked the brass knocker up and let it drop. I'd intended it to be soft, but the noise bounced off the stone walls inside the house. I heard scurrying footsteps come my way. The door swung open.

     The man standing there was short, stocky, and red faced. "Sh," he hissed at me "the Sir likes his quiet." I frowned "I am sorry." "Oh, you must be the girl that was supposed to be coming. The Sir only half expected you to show up," the man opened the door wider "well, come in, come in." With a hesitant smile, I grabbed my bag and stepped into the house. I was immediately greeted by the warmth of a fire not too far away. The interior was dark, but I could still make out the hint of wealth. The man shut the door behind me "I am William, if you so shall need me." I went to say something, but William was already down the hall. I quickly grabbed my things and followed behind him. He chattered along the way, point out things I was never to touch, and rooms I was forbidden to go in. I felt a bit like a child in a strange, new world, that she could not explore. "The Sir enjoys his privacy," William explained "that is a necessity here." It seems I wouldn't have to see my husband after all. Perhaps at our wedding would be the only time. I nodded "I understand."
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
KANE'S POV:
I saw William leading the girl around. My betrothed. I'd assumed she was just another loud, blithe girl from King James' kingdom. But, she was not. The girl before me was beautiful. Quiet, and small, I could see the intelligence in her eyes. She was nothing like the women I'd seen at the ball. Why hadn't I seen her before? King Janes told me that all of the women in his court attended that ball. Yet, I had not seen her. I would have remembered her. Her name was Emery. A fitting name. It made me think of mysteries and enchantments. Somehow, I was hoping she would not be like this. I needed to hate her. I wanted to hate her. She could not intrigue me. Intriguing me out her at danger as well. And, that was something I could not do.