Chapter 10:

PICTURE OF EMERY:

Chapter 10:
EDITH'S POV:

Two nights later, I was crouched in the kitchen, waiting for Alice to come distract her fathers . After hours of pleading, she finally agreed to help me. She called my plan foolish and said it would most likely end horribly. But, I was going to catch a glimpse of the Count no matter how much trouble I had to go through. We planned everything strategically, spending the better part of two days on it. First, Alice would distract William long enough for me to sneak in and grab the Count's food. When just ten minutes passed, he would find the food gone, and frustrated, would wait for Miriam to cook another plate.

They'd all be dumbfounded about just where the food went. Then, it all relied on me. I would try to retrace the footsteps William makes every night to either get to the library, private study, or the Count's bedroom. He was inevitably in one of those three. The Count would think I was William and turn face me thinking he was safe to reveal himself. After that, I'll undoubtedly have to run to avoid whatever consequences that comes with my act. But, at least I would've seen the man I was marrying who- knows- when.

Alice helped dress me in a plain, straight forward, black gown that would make it easier for me to sneak around the halls at night. She also told me precisely where the library was; however, the other two rooms were lost on her. It seems only William knew where certain forbidden rooms of the house were located. I wasn't completely sure if Geoffrey knew himself. It was a topic I would have to bring up in our next conversation. I heard Alice's voice get closer to the kitchen. My palms started to sweat and my heart started to beat faster. I was really going to do this. I didn't even know if I was fast enough to find the rooms before Miriam made William another plate of food.

I sat up slightly from my crouched position under the table. I had to be ready to dart out, grab the plate, and run. There was no time to waste, for William could see me and stop me. When I saw Alice and William's feet from under the table, I crawled to the far end. I was closer to the door this way. "But, Father! Would if it did happen," Alice whined. I wasn't sure what they were talking about, but I knew William had to be tired of it by know. Just as expected, I heard him sit the plate down on top of the table I was currently hiding under. "It won't happen, Alice. I swear to you, nothing of the sort could," William told his daughter. Alice suddenly moved across the kitchen, taking her father with her. This was it. This was my cue.

I took a deep breath before partway coming from under the table. Alice saw me and nodded quickly telling me it was now or never. Almost too quickly, I darted out, grabbed the plate, and fled the room. I didn't stop running until I was so far down the hallway that they only thing lighting my path where torch holders were strategically lined on each wall. I hadn't made any turns yet, and Alice said that at the first fork in the hallway to turn right, and the library would be a straight shot. I kept walking ignoring the cold as it seeped through my dress, and into my skin. I wish I'd thought about wearing a cloak.

It was mid winter, and the hallways didn't provide much protection from the cold, biting air. I kept walking, observing the intricate stone patterns on the walls, the few portraits that I did happen by, and even the torches themselves. After what seemed like hours, I came to the fork. Diligently, I turned right, and continued on. It was colder, darker, and more damp this deep into the corridors. I hadn't been this far in. I was almost positive my chambers were on the whole other side of the house. Shivering, I walked on, determined to make this plan work.

I wanted to see the Count. I was willing to risk falling out of his favor for the chance. The problem with that was, I didn't even know if I was in his favor to begin with. If I was, he would've attempted to meet me, talk to me, anything. At last, I came to two large doors that were equally beautiful with moons carved into them. This was the library. Slowly, I reached out a hand to the knob. I stopped, letting it rest. I was scared. If he wasn't in here, I would have to wonder around until I found the study, or his chambers. That option didn't sound as nice as it did before. I doubted I could walk around these cold, dark corridors for much longer. I took a deep breath, gathered my wits, and pulled the door open as quietly as I could.