Chapter 4

“Hello, Molly.” 

Molly almost jumped in her seat. She hadn’t noticed him walking towards her until he spoke while sitting down. “Sherlock! Hi!”

Sherlock frowned. “Are you okay?”

Molly nodded. “Yeah, yeah. I’m fine, absolutely… fine. I just didn’t know you had come over here.”

“Okay…” Sherlock said. “Well, I’ve got an hour before my father. I might as well spend it socializing. My parents told me I should do that more. I don’t know why.”

“Maybe they just want you to make more friends.” Molly said, looking over to him.

“That is the likely answer,” Sherlock nodded. “So, time to be social…” He went silent.

“You okay?” Molly asked.

“Fine, I just…” He trailed off. “I’m not quite sure what to say.”

“Maybe, ask questions?” Molly suggested. “Or I could ask you questions, if asking makes you uncomfortable. Um…What’s your favorite color?”

Sherlock thought for a moment. “Navy, or black.”

Molly nodded. “What about … your favorite band?”

“I don’t really listen to bands,” Sherlock said. “I listen to more classical music, mainly on violin, when I even do listen to music. I usually just find it on YouTube.”

“Do you play any instruments?”

“Violin.”

Molly smiled. “How long?”

He looked over at her. “Since I was ten.”

“Okay,” Molly said. “Let’s step it up a bit. What do you want to major in, after high school?” 

He responded immediately. “Forensics.”

“Forensics?” Molly inquired. He nodded. “That’s funny. I want to major in forensics too.”

“Really?” Sherlock asked. Molly nodded. “What do you want to be?”

“A forensic pathologist,” Molly said, smiling again. “I find autopsies, and figuring out the cause of death to be fascinating.”

Sherlock smiled back. “I want to be a detective. I find detective work to be fascinating.”

“Where do you want to live?” Molly asked.

“I just want to stay in London,” Sherlock told her. “I quite like it here.” 

“Yeah, me too.” Molly agreed.

They asked each other questions, back and forth. When the hour finally ended, Sherlock stood up. “Well, my father should be ready to go, now.”

Molly stood up too. “Hold on.”

She didn’t know why she was doing it, but she pulled a notepad out of her pocket, and scribbled numbers onto it. Then, she took a second to contemplate whether Sherlock would even use it. She finally ripped it off of the pad, and folded it. Sherlock looked at her, and cocked his head. She smiled, and reached out her hand, the paper in her palm. He took it, and opened it.

“Is this your mobile number?” He said after a moment.

“Yes,” Molly nodded. “It is.”

He looked confused, and Molly just sat back down.

“Why have you given me the number for your mobile phone?” Sherlock asked.

“Because I though you may want to use it.” Molly answered.

“Why would you think that?” He furrowed his brows.

“Because I have enjoyed talking to you,” Molly said. “And the fact that you didn’t leave until the hour was up, I thought you may want to continue conversing later. Goodbye, Sherlock.”

He stared at her for a moment. Molly could tell that he was contemplating if he would or not. Finally, he said, “Goodbye, Molly.” And walked away.

Molly took out her phone, and began to text Mary. She would not believe what she had just done.