Chapter 6

Mary and John waited inside the restaurant, sitting next to each other in a booth. When she spotter Molly and Sherlock, Mary motioned them over, where they took their seats across from the couple, who were holding hands under the table.

"Molly, Sherlock! How are you two?" she asked, grinning broadly.

"Alright, I, erh, guess." Molly kept her eyes away from Sherlock. It was odd, she thought, sitting next to him in a booth in a restaurant. Of course, it wasn't a fancy date restaurant. But they were on a date, weren't they? A double date, but still a date.

"Hm," Sherlock hummed in agreement. Molly could tell this 'date' wasn't his first choice in how he'd spend his afternoon. She felt offended by that and decided immediately to drop the term 'date.' This was just an outing. Nothing more.

"Mary and I saved you two menus," John said, pushing a menu towards each of them, "and we told the waiter to come back a few minutes after you two arrive."

"Thank you." Molly gave him a smile and took the menu, opening it and beginning to look at all of the choices. After a few moments, she decided on the simple order of 'soup,' which was the only completely vegetarian meal on the menu. That was the worst part of being a vegetarian, she thought; not being able to eat anything.

A few minutes after deciding on her meal, the waiter came back. Molly ordered her meal and water. Mary and John both got colas and bought a large order of deep fried butterfly prawns to share. Sherlock asked for simple fish and chips with water, which surprised Molly. Sherlock looked like the kind of person who would order a more sophisticated meal, such as smoked salmon or rainbow trout or something.

As soon as the waiter left, John looked to Molly. "So, Molly, I don't think we've ever spoken properly." He stuck a hand across the table towards her. "John Watson."

Molly smiled and took his hand. "Molly Hooper." After a couple of shakes, she returned her hand to her side. "Lovely to meet you properly."

"Same to you." John had a very warm smile, quite friendly. Molly thought it likely was mainly do to the presence of Mary. She could tell really fancied her.

"So," he continued, "shall we start with the basics of getting to know each other? How old are you? What year are you in?"

"I'm sixteen," Molly told him, "and I'm in year 10."

"Same as Mary, then?"

Molly nodded.

"Well," John said, "I'm eighteen, in year twelve. Sherlock is seventeen, but in year eleven."

"Can he not answer for himself?" she asked in jest, but Sherlock stared over John's head and acted as if he hadn't heard her.

John laughed. "Apparently not." He lowered his voice to a whisper. "He's not very talkative around girls he fancies."

Sherlock snapped out of his zone and his eyebrows furrowed at his best friend. "Sorry?"

Molly blushed. "Oh, erh."

"You know," Mary said, standing up from her seat, letting go of John's hand, "I suddenly need the loo.... "Molly?"

Molly stood as well, practically jumping away from Sherlock. "Oh, as do I. I'll c ome with you, if you don't mind."