Chapter 1: Family Reunion

“Dean! It’s been too long!” Jessica, my younger brother’s girlfriend of two years said as she opened the front door to their house. I smiled a little, it was true, it had been a long time. Nearly a year.

“Hey, Jess.” I said, she pulled me into a tight hug. I laughed a little. “Sorry I’m like an hour early. They let me off.” I said. Jess smiled at me and stepped aside, motioning me to come in. I did so and took off my shoes, hanging up my rain covered coat.

“It’s not a problem. Sam’s still at work, should be on his way soon.” Jess said. She went to the kitchen, I followed her and sat down at the counter, watching her cook. Sam and Jess had invited me over for dinner, to catch up. I couldn’t just decline, I needed some time to be human and not work twenty-four-seven. “You’re parked in Kansas for a while now, huh?” Jess asked curiously.

“Yea, for the mean time.” I answered.

“Got a case?” She asked.

“Kind of,” I said. I worked with a branch of the FBI, it was my job to track criminals and bring them in. The past month I had interrogated around thirty men and women I had brought in.

“Is it for someone ‘round here?” Jess asked, filling a pot with water. I watched her intently.

“We think the guy is around here.” I replied. Jess went silent and continued. After a few minutes, Sam walked into the front door. He smiled at the sight of me. I got up and gave my brother a big hug.

“Dean!” Sam said, loud and happy. Sam was three years younger than I was. He was twenty-two and I was twenty-five. We were close growing up together.

“Hey, Sammy.” I said. We sat down together after he got us both a beer.

“I saw the one guy you took down on the news. You punched a guy’s lights out! A cold hard criminal!” Sam said excitedly. Jess was amused and rolled her eyes.

“That’s my job, Sam.” I told him.

“He was twice your size!” Sam stated. I rolled my eyes too and sat back. Jess and Sam were telling me about work and other things. I listened and drakn. Enjoying this. It was nice to finally sit back and relax. The dinner was steak and pasta salad. The food was delicious. Jess cooked the best, better than anyone I’ve ever known. After dinner, Jess went to go shower, it left Sam and I alone to talk. The two of us sat on the couch in the living room.

“You’re on a case, yea?” Sam asked. I nodded and finished off my second beer. “The Shadow Killer?” Sam questioned.

“How’d you know?” I asked. The Shadow Killer, it was a mystery. There were over twenty deaths, murders, now. No trace of the killer, but a black smudge along the victim’s neck. The victim always seemed to be mauled, alone in their house found days later from their deaths. We were just following a trail of bodies now.

“They don’t call Dean Winchester for a simple case.” Sam told me.

“Yea,” I said with a laugh. “We followed a lead, and it was here.” I said. Sam nodded and kicked his feet up on the coffee table. “But it might be another dead end.” I added.

“Hopefully you’ll get this one.” Sam said. “I saw surveillance of the guy, he conceals himself so well.” Sam said. I nodded. There had been camera captures of this killer for all I knew, the killer could be a woman. “Are you the only one on the case?” Sam asked.

“Nah, my partner Benny is with me. He’s out getting caught up with his wife and daughter.” I answered. Sam nodded.

“You should think about dating, Dean. I mean, that way you’ll have someone to come home to.” Sam said, I laughed at him.

“Don’t like my company, huh?” I teased.

“You know I didn’t mean it like that!” Sam said, I nudged his shoulder playfully and smiled.

“I move around too much, Sammy. Plus, I could get hurt. I don’t want to put someone through that.” I told him. Sam nodded and grabbed for the remote. We went silent, watching some show he turned on. After a while, Jess came into the room and went still. Sam and I looked at her, she started moving again, she sat between us and forced a smile.

“Jess?” Sam asked, a little concerned. I glanced over to the window where she was looking. There was a figure outside in the rain. “There’s someone outside.” Jess and I both said. I got up, Sam made a strange face.

“Stay here.” I ordered. I went toward the kitchen, acting casual. Maybe whoever was out there didn’t realize we noticed. “Act normal, okay?” I said to them. I slipped on my shoes, Sam looked at me.

“Call the police.” Jess said, frantic.

“I’m gunna handle it. But yea, call the police anyway.” I said. Sam got his phone out. I moved quickly, pushing open the front door. I ran to the side of the house, catching the figure in my sight. They moved a little, noticing me. They started to run, it wasn’t long until I grabbed the collar of the figure and pulled him back.

Feet slid and sunk in the mud. The figure fell and pulled me down with him. I had wished I had my cuffs, but I left them in the car. Why would I need them to visit my brother’s house? We wrestled, the man punched me hard in the face and pressed my head into the mud. I got a mouthful of sludge as I struggled. I managed to clap a hand over the man’s ear, but it seemed to do nothing. He kneed me hard in the stomach. I saw a glint of metal and struggled. He got my hands under his knees, pinning me. I was trapped.

“Who are you?!” I shouted through a mouthful of mud. I spat that on him. There was a sharp jab in my neck. I could feel chemicals pumping into me. The man was drugging me.

“Sleep now.” I heard a rough voice say. I could hear distant sirens. I bit the man’s arm, my body becoming weak. I tried to struggle, a hand touched my cheek. I could taste blood. My vision went to pure darkness. I slipped unconscious. I went into a state of not understanding my surroundings. I felt arms constricting around me, I was being pulled. All of my sense faded. I wanted to wake up. I had to wake up.

O0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0O

I was dreaming. Blades surrounding me, tearing at the flesh. They snagged. I Could feel every bit of it. A strong hand grabbed my face, forcing me to look. It was a face of darkness, syringes for fingers, drugs pumping into me. A hoarse laugh, more tearing skin. So much blood.