Chapters 26-31

Chapter 26

    I could feel the heat of his stare as I walked away from him.  It was hot, it was scorching and it made me more nervous than it should have.  I knew that he was watching me, I could even scent the anger and the pain resonating from his being as I moved further and further away from him, but I refused to turn around.  I refused to face him.  Not now and maybe not ever.

    Right now, all I wanted to do was get the hell out of here and let my inner Sheba run free.  Being closed up for so long did quite a number on me and if I didn’t hand the reins over to her soon, she was going to end up taking them away from me.

    “Over here.”  My father pulled me out of my reverie.  When I looked up, he gestured over towards a sleek Mercedes Benz.  I followed him and stood patiently while he opened the passenger side door for me.  Sliding into the car, I turned around and grabbed my seat belt, pulling it over my shoulder. 

    “Are you alright?”  Lifting my head, I met my father’s worried gaze.  His usual hard face looked more tired out in the light of the day.  The dark circles that rimmed his eyes were more prominent, now that I was looking up at him.  That was when I first realized that his night had probably been about as bad as mine.

    Swallowing hard, I quickly adverted my gaze and nodded.  “They didn’t hurt me,” I told him honestly, referring to Conner.  It was more like they smothered me but I didn‘t want to get into all of that right now.  “All they wanted was someone to listen to them and personally, myself, I think it was for a damn good reason.” 

    “I agree,” he said carefully, bringing my attention back to him.  His hand casually rested on the top of the car and I heard a small catch in his breath.  He looked up and I didn’t have to guess who he was looking at, by the strain in his face, I already knew it was Jaxon and I could sense that he was too close for my own comfort.  He glanced back down in my direction.  “What about your mate?  Is there something going on there that I should know about?”

    I felt my temper flare up for the briefest of seconds and just as quickly pushed it back down.  Jaxon wasn‘t worth the effort right now. “I don’t have a mate,” I snapped, staring deep into my father’s eyes.  For a good, long minute, he stared back at me, searching for something, any type of emotion before straightening up to his full height.

    “I see,” he murmured, his rigid face softening.  “For now, let’s just worry about get you home, okay?”

    I nodded.  That was exactly what I had in mind.  He shut the door and walked around to the back of the car.  I could hear him talking lowly with someone, my assumption was that it had to be Jaxon and I just wished that he would go away.  He made a decision, he reacted and now he could live with it.

    Jaxon.  Damn, I thought to myself, closing my eyes. 

     Just saying his name, had the butterflies doing a little jig in the pit of my belly.  It was worse now that I had smelt him.  His scent filled my senses and now I couldn’t get rid of it.  It clung to me, teased me and was literally driving me crazy.

    I didn’t want him in my head, but all I could think about now was the way that his hands felt on my skin, the way that his fingers glided over all of my intimate curves, branding me with his touch.  The way that his lips felt against my mouth, firm but soft, yielding and yet demanding.  His savory taste was like an addictive drug to me, a craving that I didn’t want but yet, I couldn’t get rid of.  And then there was the way that he made me feel when he moved inside of me, full and complete.  Like that was the way it was supposed to be.  Just us, together.