Chapter Six

Seeing her after a long day at work feels like such a relief. It's the only time of the day that's entirely ours, when we know that we don't have to part anymore. Sometimes I'm so busy at work or with my classes that I don't really get the chance of missing her, but today all I could do was think of her.

"God, I really missed you." I close the door behind me and drop my bag on the table by the entry.

"Did you?" She says as she wraps her arms around me. "I really wanted you to come back home."

"Why's that, darling?" I can only imagine her being alone all afternoon. She can be so creative when there's nothing else to do, I recall of one day when I got home and she had made about twenty drawings of the things that surrounded her. Up to that date I didn't even know she could draw.

"Because..." She kisses me so softly and so gently that I don't want it to end, but she's the one to break it. "It's your turn to cook dinner." I groan in response, there is absolutely no way in hell I'm doing that.

"I'll buy it, I really can't be bothered." I stay between her arms for a couple of seconds more, not really wanting to let go.

"How was your day, love?" She asks me, sweetly as always.

"Well... Kind of... I don't know." I drop myself on the couch, exhausted and starving. With everything going on with my boss, I really couldn't think of eating anything. "Turns out Al still likes me."

"No shit, Sherlock." She rolls her eyes at me, not only she doesn't like Alison, but she's been warning me for a long time. "What have I been telling you?"

"And she's going to buy an editorial... for me to work at." And I'm still not quit sure of what I'll be doing, exactly. What's sure is that I'll be better than I am right now.

"That's just ridiculous." She frowns. I know that what she's hoping for is that I never work with her again, but she is never going to say that to me, even though she has mentioned it to Derek.

"I know, and I feel like I shouldn't accept that. What do I do?" I don't want to feel that my biggest achievements in life aren't because of me. However, I'm not asking for anything, it gets put in my way and I feel like it's for a reason.

"It's your choice, not mine." She walks off to our room, probably out of anger, or jealousy, or both. I don't follow her right after, that would be acknowledging her childish behaviour, instead, I take a well deserved hot shower and change into nicer clothes for us to go out for dinner. I like to make things special, because we hardly go out anymore.

It took us a good half an hour to decide where we were going to have dinner at. It was nothing special, but we had serious issued at deciding these sort of things. One minute she wanted Italian, the next she wanted Chinese but at the same time I wanted burgers and fries.

As we were about to walk through the door, she turned around and left me waiting for a while, only to come back with a coat over her clothes. Sure, it was December and quite cold outside, but I've seen her wear less in colder environments, which finally opened my eyes to something.

"Marina, are you trying to hide it?" I asked as we walked to the car.

"Did you just pick up on it?" She has been doing it for quite a while, even before it started showing. But I have never realised until now. She gets into the driver's seat of her car and I take the passenger's one. Sure, I could drive, but I just don't want to do anything out of how tired I am.

"Why?" But then again, she answers my question with another question.

"Why haven't you told anybody?" I stay silent, because I know exactly what she means. The real problem isn't the baby, it's that everyone wants an explanation, and there isn't any good one we can give. The truth isn't pretty, it never is, and sometimes can be so hard to say. "It's not as easy as it sounds, is it? And we haven't talked about it." We have been so happy lately that none of us wanted to ruin it, but all bubbles pop at some point.